Harmon absolute 43 touchscreen is dead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cooler

Feb 11, 2015
NH
During a power failure, I had the stove running on a generator. Apparently there was a voltage problem with the generator, and now the touchscreen is blank.

The stove doesn’t work, all it does is starts the combustion fan every five minutes or so, lets it run for maybe one minute, then shut it down. It’s trying to start some cycle but doesn’t get any further.

I understand there are two pieces of control electronics in the stove. The touchscreen and a separate control board?

I’m guessing I have to replace at least one of these, anyone have any experience with these failures?

Try getting an ethernet cable and plug in the touch screen to the control board. I have seen a few fail from bending back and forth from opening the lid over and over. It is a cheap way to trouble shoot and verify you dont have a cable issue.

Try getting an ethernet cable and plug in the touch screen to the control board. I have seen a few fail from bending back and forth from opening the lid over and over. It is a cheap way to trouble shoot and verify you dont have a cable issue.
Thanks Rickwai - I just solved this
Talked to dealer. They had already sold several touchscreens after our power outage (and generator event). Said I probably needed their last one. They were right. Put the new one in and we’re back in business. They gave me the model code I had to enter. Pretty easy. Have to figure out if a surge protector would have saved it.

just remember if you are putting a surge protector on you get what you pay for this is not the place to be cheap.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Will a good one protect from a generator going a little crazy and sending higher than expected voltages?

Thanks Rickwai - I just solved this
Talked to dealer. They had already sold several touchscreens after our power outage (and generator event). Said I probably needed their last one. They were right. Put the new one in and we’re back in business. They gave me the model code I had to enter. Pretty easy. Have to figure out if a surge protector would have saved it.
If you can afford it I say get an Inverter.

Yes, thinking about some sort of backup. I see the recommended one is by SEC and is about $800 plus the cost of a battery. There are notes that some modified sine wave inverters don’t work with Harmon, this one does. Have to try and figure out if there’s less expensive inverters or UPS that would work for this application.

I may have a 24 V marine battery fairly soon 50 amp hours. That would be the equivalent of 100 amp hours at 12 V DC. So that with an inverter might be a good choice if I can be confident the inverter will work with Harmon.

You can get an open frame inverter generator (noise level like regular generator) or a closed frame (quieter). Prices vary depending on how many watts you need. Electronics are sensitive to non-pure/modified sine waves. If your generator isn't an invertor model that's what probably took out the display board.

sam