Harmon Accentra insert OAK install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyd

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
Hughesville Md
Does anyone know the price of the oak from harmon kit#1-00-674080. Has anyone hooked up outside air not using the kit? Can you explain how it was done and what were the results? Im going to install an outside air system one way or another and was wondering if there was an inexpensive alternative to the kit. Thanks.

I used white pvc then to connect to the stove you can use flex exh tubing or something similar.

outside air kit msrp is $83 and change

Did you take the pvc to the top of the chimney? Is the flex hooked up where you can still slide the stove in and out? Thanks

Tonyd I'm in the same situation you are. My summer project is to get an outside air kit installed on my Harman Accentra Insert. I need to make the run up the chimney to pull the outside air. My concern is how do I cap the top of the chimney with the exaust and the outside air tube running up the chimney next to each other. I haven't priced the Harman kit locally yet. If is is only about $100 and includes the chimney cap I'll purchase it. I was also wondering since the outside air tube is going to be a 20+ Ft. run should the tube start as a 4" then reduce to a 3" to connect to the stove. Not sure what to do. I am interested if we get any feedback from other members or suggestions. Keep in touch.

I think Im leaning towards- Air kit inside the fire box with a 3" dryer hose up through the block-off plate 1-2 ' sealed really well.. On th chimney cap (block off plate) up top. I will drill a row or two of holes from the underside, then hit them with a punch to bugle the holes to keep water from running in(louvered). Maybe some raised soffet vents???? Large hooded chimney cap already up there covers everything. My exhaust is approximately 4" above the plate so I think it should be high enough not to draw exhaust back down. What do you guys and gals think? Help us out.

I thought I would resurrect this topic since Harman's recommendation and I am still contemplating two scenarios. Do I go through the back of the chimney and the masonry to the outside wall which is the garage and then run it through the garage to the exterior wall to the outside of the house or do I go up the chimney as tonyd describes on his OAK install. The issue arises though, I have the exhaust from my oil furnace running up next to the pellet exhaust in the chimney. They are separated but exhaust right next to each other at the top of the chimney. Do I get an extension cap for the oil burner exhaust chimney or pellet exhaust side? Also, Do I need to run the piping for the OAK all the way up the chimney? Not sure what to do in this case. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.