harmon accentra low flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abcd61

Oct 22, 2011
mn
I am curious what I should check next .

Very small flame. Set on stove temp. Themostat and fan set highest.
Cleaned out stove, sensor was coated with ash. Cleaned that.
Started up again, ran well for 2 days with larger flame.

Now back to small flame after two days of good heat.

status light blinking? what is your feed adjuster knob set to?

hmmm....so, Stove temp, Fan on High, Temp Setting 7/90deg, Feed adjuster on 6 (highest setting) and you have small flame, yes? how long has this been going on (few minutes, or a few hours)?

if you watch the "feed" light on the control board...how often does it light up, and stay on for? just rough times, nothing too scientific. I'm gonna guess you have some longish pellets preventing pellets from feeding correctly, or you have some build-up in the fines box restricting the pellet flow. If the auger is cycling often, but few pellets are feeding then those are the likely scenarios.

Reactions: LobsterParty
thanks. i will check those when i get home.

i have been frustrated this year by lack of heat. this stove has never fed the pellets as fast as I think they should, it is just much worse than usual lately,

Delta-T said:
if you watch the "feed" light on the control board...how often does it light up, and stay on for? just rough times, nothing too scientific. I'm gonna guess you have some longish pellets preventing pellets from feeding correctly, or you have some build-up in the fines box restricting the pellet flow. If the auger is cycling often, but few pellets are feeding then those are the likely scenarios.

I have an Accentra insert (new this year), is there a fine box and if so where? I want to make sure I am cleaning everything, no issues to date and I don't want any :)

Reactions: LobsterParty
jdege said:
Delta-T said:

I have an Accentra insert (new this year), is there a fine box and if so where? I want to make sure I am cleaning everything, no issues to date and I don't want any :)

unlatch stove on left and right side. Thats where the side doors open at the bottom. Pull stove out about half way should be enough. On right side you will see a grey faced box with a wingnut. Open that and you will see all the fines and dust. Just vacume. While you have that are exposed just to the right of that you will see your temp probe. There is a nut you loosen and pull it out. It will be black just wipe it clean and put it back in. Just behond that there are 2 more wing nuts that goes to where the probe is inserted too. I vacume that about 2 times a burning season you can also acces that area from the top of stove where exhaust opening is. Just stick a long nose attachment on vac . Thats about it but make sure if you do anything clean that temp probe very important. On the accentra insert the cleaner you keep it the more heat you will get.

investor7952 said:
jdege said:
Delta-T said:

unlatch stove on left and right side. Thats where the side doors open at the bottom. Pull stove out about half way should be enough. On right side you will see a grey faced box with a wingnut. Open that and you will see all the fines and dust. Just vacume. While you have that are exposed just to the right of that you will see your temp probe. There is a nut you loosen and pull it out. It will be black just wipe it clean and put it back in. Just behond that there are 2 more wing nuts that goes to where the probe is inserted too. I vacume that about 2 times a burning season you can also acces that area from the top of stove where exhaust opening is. Just stick a long nose attachment on vac . Thats about it but make sure if you do anything clean that temp probe very important. On the accentra insert the cleaner you keep it the more heat you will get.

I assume you meant to say ESP and NOT Temp Probe

Accentra FREESTANDING, or Accentra INSERT? If its an insert, my money is on the left tube being clogged (once again). If its a F/S, its the ESP or circuitboard, as long as the stove is correctly cleaned.

abcd61 said:
Thanks.

It is an insert. I suspect it is the circuit board and will replace that.

welp, I was right once, so lets try it again....before you go and buy a circuit board, why not do a good job of roto-rootering out that left hand tube.......bet thats your problem.....if its clean, and will swallow your brush completely, and the stove STILL doesnt run right, go buy a board or an ESP probe...

when my board went I would get a real slow feed, along with no dist fan, and no igniter. I know every electronic problem is different, but that is an expensive gamble to take. There might be something with the auger motor or linkage. Also that left tube. A good trick is to put the brush all the way in the left tube, then shine a flashlight into the right tube, you should see the brush in the back of the right tube if it is getting all the way in the left one.

that is good info, about the tubes. I will reclean those as you directed .

i doubt the auger is the issue, as it was feeding much better earlier this week after the cleaning I did last week. the problem was present last week, I cleaned the sensor and the slow feed problem went away for two days, now it seems to be back.

pull out the unit and remove the combustion blower and the access port on the other side of the blower (two thumb screws). remove the three baffle plates in the firebox, one having the compass. Run a brush into the left side (facing) air tube all the way till you see the brush where the combustion blower was located. suck out the five pounds of ash that you unclogged. but her back together and crack a beer after you wash your hands for 4-5 minutes.

or pay a tech to come out to clean.

Eric

investor7952 said:
jdege said:
Delta-T said:

TY I will hit it with the vaccum this weekend.

jdege said:
investor7952 said:
jdege said:
Delta-T said:

TY I will hit it with the vaccum this weekend.

Just finished weekly cleaning and vacuumed more than a little bit of saw dust a fines from the box, thank you for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.