Harmon Accentra not feeding enough pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranckie

Nov 11, 2006
Androscoggin County, Maine
Hi,
I have a Harmon Accentra insert that is giving me a pellet feeding problem and the dealer is struggling a bit with a solution. Because he is busy, I feel he is moving a bit too slow towards a resolution. Even though this stove is still under warranty (less than 2 yesr old) I am trying to help him find possible causes so I can pass them on. Since day one I have always run this stove set on Stove Temp, Auto Ignition, the feed rate set at about 3-1/2 and the blower turned down low to keep the blower noise at a minimim, and it has always run fine that way. About 2 weeks ago it started acting up with the feed auger not staying on long enough. I'm told that on a Harmon, (or at least on that model) the feed numbers actually correspond to a one minute clock, meaning a setting of 2 will run the auger for 20 seconds and stay off for 40 for every 1 minute cycle. A setting of 3 would have the auger run for 30 seconds and be off for 30 and so on. Now, my auger run time is way too short (5 to 10 seconds) and is also inconsistent, as it may start out working correctly but 2 or 3 minutes later it reverts back to short feeding and then stays that way. Because my dealer is busy and knows I am capable of doing the work, he is playing the “why don’t you try this” card and is trying to get me to fix the problem, using the reason that it might be a while before he can get to me. Recently, he had me change the ESP sensor and nothing changed, (I have also pulled my stove out to check other things he wanted me to look at as well). He now says he will call Harmon tech support and I’m afraid that I will end waiting forever, at a time when I could be enjoying the benefits of my stove, (I've had about 10 degree’s above 0 for several days now). I am starting to think that I have a control board problem because yesterday when I moved the feed rate knob it actually started running right, but only for 3 or 4 feed cycles and then it went back to short cycling. Right now, it doesn't matter where I set the feed rate because it just keeps cycling for about 4-5 seconds and then goes off for the remainder of the 60 second cycle. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any help you can offer.

This will just be my 2 cents as I am no expert but from my knowledge of the Harmans, the feed and blowers are controlled by the main control board during startup. The controller keeps the distribution blower off at first and feeds the right amount of pellets into the pot. The stove ignites and gets some heat, the distribution blower kicks in. Once the startup cycle is over then the user controls have an effect. From what I have heard, you are correct about the feeder settings and how it operates. The feed control is also only a maximum feed rate not what it will always feed at. This is because the controller will increase or decrease your fire and feed accrding to the tempature. Once you are close to the temp the controller will back things down.

Now with that said, and here is where my 2 cents worth comes in. There would only be two things in my mind that would control the feeder to back off.
1. The stove thinks near or at tempature. In this case a sensor/probe would be the culptret.
2. The control board since it is really the brain of the feeder control.

I doubt that it has anything to do with the auger motor or auger itself because it seems too consistent. The fact that it seems consistent indicates to me that it is control logic involved somewhere.

Out of curiosity, how does it run in room temp mode?

My insert got stupid once. I unplugged it and let it sit for 10 minutes. Re powered up and she has been fine since. I run on stove temp also - 3 burns a bag a day and I let the oil supplement it if needed. I think the numbers are 5 seconds not 10 seconds. on 3 I get about 15 seconds of auger per minute. and on 7 I get 35 seconds. My stove will feed more on thermostat mode and also run down to less then 5 seconds at idle.

Thanks to both Codebum and Lecomte38 for your input; it's folks like you that make these forums so successful.

To Codebums point, I am inclined to agree that it's doubtful that there is anything wrong with the auger motor because when it runs, it runs fine; sounds normal. The problem is it just doesn't run long enough to feed enough pellets in to support a fire. Also, when I fiddled with the feed rate knob, it started to work correctly again, but just for a few minutes.

To Lecomte38's point, my unit is installed with the metal housing that Harmon sells that simulates a fireplace enclosure (I don't have a brick fireplace, but once completed, it looks like a fireplace, including the mantle and tile front), and before one can access the plug, the unit has to be slid out on it's rails. I made everything safe by installing a wall switch that feeds the receptacle inside the metal housing. I just shut off the power before removing the insert and everything is safe for insert removal. My reason for boring you with all the housing details is to let you know that when I installed the new ESP probe last Friday, I switched off the power to the stove, and it was off for a good 2 hours plus. My dealer mistakenly gave me a newer, larger probe that Harmon now uses, and I had to go get the correct one from him. Though the plug itself was not removed from the receptacle, the hot feeding the stove was switched off, and I don't think having the neutral still connected would upset the reset process, (would it?). At this point, I am still inclined to lean towards the control panel.

For the benefit of anyone interested, I am attaching a picture of the finished project. Everything you see I made/did myself, including the slide-in bookcases.

Thanks again

Attachments

• 479 Email Image.jpg
    479 Email Image.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 833
That sure is a nice looking and cozy looking room. It looks like you did a real nice job on the book cases as well. Let us know what this turns out to be.

try wiggling on the control...if the knob
isnt working correctly...it may prove that its the potentiometer itself and
therefore the control board...try phyically pushing in on it and hold it there to see if it works
then not when u let go etc

FYI, The feedrate knob sts the _maximum_ feedrate (for when the control oard wants to put out a lot of heat), not the actual feedrate

Is the 'feed' light staying on when the Auger is not running? if that is the case, you may have a draft problem - the control board will feed enough pellets for the amount of air. in that case the problem will be with the flue or the fan. When was the last time the flue was cleaned?

lecomte38 said:
Have you tried running it on room thermostat mode?
Hi
I also have a Harman Accentra insert installed 3 weeks ago.When the outside temp is in the teens to zero what kind of heat output are you getting? I am talking about in the room the stove is in? No matter what setting I use or how high I set dials I still max out at around 71-72.When it is around 30 or above I get 73-74.
I am burning fireside ultras and I am sure this is why I get such low heat.The dealer is no help he said I am lucky these stoves arent made to put out that much heat,but I have found this guy is just a jerk and doesnt know what he is talking about.I have a ton of Hammer hot nes I cant wait to try.

Couldn't this just be a bad auger motor? When my auger went the stove tried to function correctly, but the auger motor couldn't move the auger to push enough pellets in the stove.

I have timed all setting everything running properly .Plenty of pellets getting fed into pot.Keep in mind I am heating a 3000 sft house with a stove rated for 14-1500 sft

ranckie said:
Hi,
I have a Harmon Accentra insert that is giving me a pellet feeding problem and the dealer is struggling a bit with a solution. Because he is busy, I feel he is moving a bit too slow towards a resolution. Even though this stove is still under warranty (less than 2 yesr old) I am trying to help him find possible causes so I can pass them on. Since day one I have always run this stove set on Stove Temp, Auto Ignition, the feed rate set at about 3-1/2 and the blower turned down low to keep the blower noise at a minimim, and it has always run fine that way. About 2 weeks ago it started acting up with the feed auger not staying on long enough. I'm told that on a Harmon, (or at least on that model) the feed numbers actually correspond to a one minute clock, meaning a setting of 2 will run the auger for 20 seconds and stay off for 40 for every 1 minute cycle. A setting of 3 would have the auger run for 30 seconds and be off for 30 and so on. Now, my auger run time is way too short (5 to 10 seconds) and is also inconsistent, as it may start out working correctly but 2 or 3 minutes later it reverts back to short feeding and then stays that way. Because my dealer is busy and knows I am capable of doing the work, he is playing the “why don’t you try this” card and is trying to get me to fix the problem, using the reason that it might be a while before he can get to me. Recently, he had me change the ESP sensor and nothing changed, (I have also pulled my stove out to check other things he wanted me to look at as well). He now says he will call Harmon tech support and I’m afraid that I will end waiting forever, at a time when I could be enjoying the benefits of my stove, (I've had about 10 degree’s above 0 for several days now). I am starting to think that I have a control board problem because yesterday when I moved the feed rate knob it actually started running right, but only for 3 or 4 feed cycles and then it went back to short cycling. Right now, it doesn't matter where I set the feed rate because it just keeps cycling for about 4-5 seconds and then goes off for the remainder of the 60 second cycle. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Your stove could be dirty or have a partially blocked flue. IF the draft dips too low, the draft switch will open and stop the feeder motor. Your stove could be teetering around the .20 WC mark, that is where the switch will open at. This would have to be checked with a draft meter. If you already replaced the ESP probe, and your flu is clear, it may be the control board.

Next time your stove acts up and won't feed for more than 5 seconds try this. Turn the stove to off and the feed rate to test. the feeder should run for 40 to 60 seconds. If it does feed correct on test, you need a board. If the stove deosn't feed right then either, you have another issue, maybe the motor getting hot and working speradically.

You are correct on the feed rate being a timer with one being 10 seconds and 6 being 60 seconds per minute. You set the max amount the feeder can feed per one minute cycle, (except during start-up).

I hope some of this helps.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.