Harmon Accentra vs Quadrafire Castile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyd

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
Hughesville Md
Are there any major differences between the two stoves and having a choice which one would you choose.Has anyone owned both. Likes and dislikes.Thanks

too many differences to count. Completely different stoves.
The very basic differences are ;
the Accentra is 40k btu and uses an underfire feed system. It can be set to automatically vary its output to match the heating needs of the area it is in (automatic temp control).
The Castile is 30k btu, drop feed, uses a basic thermostat to turn off and on, has three manually selected heat output levels.

I have the Quadra Fire Castile insert, and I like it, and its my first experience with pellets this season. The Quad is a good working unit, its very basic as far as controls go, you dont have any air adjustments to play with, and you only have a 3 way rocker switch to control the heat output. The Castile is very easy to operate. The Harmon has more controls, and I looked all last summer at inserts, and I couldnt really decide between a Quad or a Harmon, and eventually I setlled on the Quad Castile because the dealer had it in stock, and gave me a good discount, and he included one free ton of pellets with it . When I look back on it I think I would have been happier with the Harmon it was my first choice, and I believe both of them are good stoves, the Harmon is more expensive but in my opinion its built better, it has a lot more controls than the Quad, so you can adjust the Harmon many different ways to suit your needs and for the quality of pellets you are using and although I like my Castile, if I could do it over I'd get the Harmon.

Either way both are good stoves, and both would serve you well. I get good heat out of my Castile, its very quiet and also easy to work on if you have a problem. I could put in a new ignitor in less than a minute, the ignitor is right up front and its really easy to replace.

I had a Castile installed for the 07 season....love it. It is very user friendly by ease of operation. I think both stoves are great stoves.

I have a Harman and my friend has Quad. The daily maintenance seems easier the Quad. Pull a rod a couple of times to clean out the burn pot. I like the temp. sensing feature on my Harman better because of the steady heat output. If I had to make a decision between the two I'd probably drive my self nuts! It would be hard. The Harman does put out more heat also, but the Quad had enough for my application.

Status
Not open for further replies.