Harmon Accenture overheating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashes

Nov 14, 2008
central nh
cleaned stove from a2z. airports,fan blades and flue. replaced bottom convection fan, rechecked wiring (only 2 wires) everything is correct. startup is flawless, nice steady flame, no excessive flame fluttering. heated air has good volume. exhaust fan blades spin freely. no smoke in firebox after startup. no smell of smoke in house. stove appears to be venting after ten minutes of run-time sides of stove gets extremely hot, almost as hot as glass. turn stove to "test" everything works. door gasket is in good condition,(holds the dollar test) cleaned heat probe, but have not let stove run long enough to see if it will shut down the stove. only guess i have left is chimney cap is restricting airflow, but i can hear fan operating when outside..... any ideas? getting frustrated

Attachments

• HarmanAccentraFeederChamberCleaning.jpg
    HarmanAccentraFeederChamberCleaning.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 227
Exactly how hot are the sides getting?

When you cleaned the air ports was there any sticky black gunk anywhere in the stove?

as stated above....check all venting, clean it out, and if your cap has a spark arrestor on it, clean it too....how big is the fire getting inside? Is the ESP clean, or bathed in soot? Have you run a brush past it? Have you stuck the good ole shop vac plastic end in there to clean that area? Really went to town on it? (Hint- DONT do that!) My money is on a bad ESP, then, circuitboard.

I dont think its a gummy stove, as it seems to feed well. It would be interesting to plug a DDM into the unit and see what the ESP readings are cold, and, when its running.

You do realize that at first, the fire can be quite large, as the stove burns the extra pellets fed during the ignition cycle, then the fire SHOULD quiet down.

It would be good if you put your stove model in your signature, and let us know if it is a freestanding or insert Accentra. I'm guessing it is a FS, since you can monitor the exhaust vent. The FS model does not have a shield (double wall) to the sides...so the metal you can touch on the sides is the SAME metal that encloses the firebox. It does in fact get hot. Many pellet stoves have a double wall to the sides, so they remain cooler but still do get warm. How high is the flame? Your flame ought to be up the middle to the top of the compass inside the fire box when the unit is calling for heat on room temp mode...or on stove temp mode on settings 5-7.

Is your stove new or used? I have seen models where the auger motor was replaced and mistakenly a 6RPM motor (P68 model) was used... the Accentra uses a 4RPM. The difference is clearly seen as the fire is WAY out of control on medium to high settings.

It may be ok. It's called radiant heat and that is good. It is a stove and it is supposed to get hot. Snap a pic of your flame10 minutes after start up and I'll take a looksee.

It would be good if you put your stove model in your signature, and let us know if it is a freestanding or insert Accentra. I'm guessing it is a FS, since you can monitor the exhaust vent. The FS model does not have a shield (double wall) to the sides...so the metal you can touch on the sides is the SAME metal that encloses the firebox. It does in fact get hot. Many pellet stoves have a double wall to the sides, so they remain cooler but still do get warm. How high is the flame? Your flame ought to be up the middle to the top of the compass inside the fire box when the unit is calling for heat on room temp mode...or on stove temp mode on settings 5-7.

Is your stove new or used? I have seen models where the auger motor was replaced and mistakenly a 6RPM motor (P68 model) was used... the Accentra uses a 4RPM. The difference is clearly seen as the fire is WAY out of control on medium to high settings.

It may be ok. It's called radiant heat and that is good. It is a stove and it is supposed to get hot. Snap a pic of your flame10 minutes after start up and I'll take a looksee.

my insert Accentra is about 6 yrs old. had a service tech come over. inspected,cleaned and did a electronic diagnosis, - everything is normal. flame while feeding is at top of compass, lowers to bottom of compass while burning. no black sticky gunk in stove. walls within hopper are warm, but not hot. sides of stove are same as glass,- untouchable. tech, also replaced circuit-board,- still overheats. with stove unplugged i put a smoke grenade inside burnpot (used in heat ducking to show leaks) did not observe any leaks or smoke smell in house. tech was reaching out to harman as of 2 weeks ago.

Hello

Did you check these Harman Accentra cleaning instructions and do everything it says?
http://www.harmanstoves.com/Customer-Care/~/media/Files/Site Downloads/HAR/CleaningInstructions/AccentraCleaningInstructions.ashx

Also did you clean all the pellet fines from the Harman Accentra Feeder Chamber? Click Pic below
do not have heat ex changer in my model , but did clean out fines. as info, service tech who did service call has exact same stove in his house. he is scratching his head too.

do not have heat ex changer in my model , but did clean out fines. as info, service tech who did service call has exact same stove in his house. he is scratching his head too.
No heat exchanger? Are you sure?

each and every Accentra, either FS or the Insert, has a heat exchanger. They heat exchangers are both covered by grooved plates which must be removed to access the heat exchanger. The instructions for doing do (removing the cover panels) are in the Owner's Manual. These plates must be removed for a proper cleaning.

some of the earlier p68's had 4 rpm motors.......and, interestingly enough, with the old chain drive Accentras (pre-UL feeders), the motor turned in the opposite direction as the P68 motors.......

NO HEAT EX CHANGER AS DEPICTED IN THE EXCERPT YOU SENT. I.E.; DO NOT HAVE THAT TYPE. MINE ARE FIXED
hold on now.... I did not send you anything. Was merely making a comment because I thought it very strange that you said "do not have heat ex changer in my model" Did you remove the grooved plates as Lousyweather mentioned above to do a proper cleaning?

hold on now.... I did not send you anything. Was merely making a comment because I thought it very strange that you said "do not have heat ex changer in my model" Did you remove the grooved plates as Lousyweather mentioned above to do a proper cleaning?
sorry, got you mixed up with don2222 above.... yes, grooved plates WERE CLEANED ON BOTH SIDES,, wish it could be that easy. am starting to think i may have a broken weld somewhere ,,but this is only a guess, have no clue.

is it an insert or a freestanding model? the "vee" of the heat exchanger is behind the cover plates.....Ive seen them so dirty that you couldnt tell there was a "Vee" back there......that being said, I can enquivocably tell you that ANY AND ALL accentras, inserts or freestanders, have heat exchangers. Frankly, its disconcerting that the tech who came out cant find it......

is it an insert or a freestanding model? the "vee" of the heat exchanger is behind the cover plates.....Ive seen them so dirty that you couldnt tell there was a "Vee" back there......that being said, I can enquivocably tell you that ANY AND ALL accentras, inserts or freestanders, have heat exchangers. Frankly, its disconcerting that the tech who came out cant find it......
whoa, we have a glitch here, probably due to my way of explaining things.. never said tech could not find heat ex changer (which was cleaned) . i was responding to the heat ex changer depicted in a prior thread and meant to say i do not have that "type" of exchanger in my model stove. sorry for the misrepresentation. update- just heard from the tech, he is leaning towards the new convection fan i put in. (not exhaust fan) even though it is the same model , dimensions and has good volume etc. it might be turning at a lower rpm, resulting in less air/more heat build up. will swap fans on the 27th and will post follow-up findings so everyone will have a remedy if needed. fyi, the tech is on vacation and found time to call me back,,,,going to adopt him!!!

cool....the original Accentra FREESTANDING units had a 2 speed fan, although thats been subsequently done away with. The INSERTS had a single speed fan.....although, from your original post, I am guessing you have a freestanding unit (sides get hot).....might also want to check your airpath (back suide of the heat exchanger) to make sure something weird hasnt gotten in there. Wrong double fan maybe, or like Scott says, incorrectly wired? No good way to check RPM's, but on "test" mode, it should blow pretty well, and should spin easily by hand (unpowered)

cleaned stove from a2z. airports,fan blades and flue. replaced bottom convection fan, rechecked wiring (only 2 wires) everything is correct. startup is flawless, nice steady flame, no excessive flame fluttering. heated air has good volume. exhaust fan blades spin freely. no smoke in firebox after startup. no smell of smoke in house. stove appears to be venting after ten minutes of run-time sides of stove gets extremely hot, almost as hot as glass. turn stove to "test" everything works. door gasket is in good condition,(holds the dollar test) cleaned heat probe, but have not let stove run long enough to see if it will shut down the stove. only guess i have left is chimney cap is restricting airflow, but i can hear fan operating when outside..... any ideas? getting frustrated

UPDATE- MY bottom convection fan was/is a fasco # B 47120. the old one i took out and the new one i put in are identical in size and model #. HOWEVER, THE SPECS ARE DIFFERENT- specs on old fan read @1500rpm/ 180cfm. new fan specs according to fasco website is 1360rpm/160cfm. less cfm =hotter air,=hotter stove. tech to put new fan in next week.-tbc...

I love a happy ending:cool:
ugh,,,hanging my head in shame, spoke toooooo soooon!. called falco motors, their specs on webpage are wrong. motor i put in was correct. even pulled stove out and got underneath it. specs on new motor label are correct. have to go rinse out my crying towel,,,,,

Well welcome to the forum and don't be ashamed, that's my job;) The Accentra insert is one of the best stoves out there. Got confused on some of the replies, but please any future questions bring em on:cool:

cool....the original Accentra FREESTANDING units had a 2 speed fan, although thats been subsequently done away with. The INSERTS had a single speed fan.....although, from your original post, I am guessing you have a freestanding unit (sides get hot).....might also want to check your airpath (back suide of the heat exchanger) to make sure something weird hasnt gotten in there. Wrong double fan maybe, or like Scott says, incorrectly wired? No good way to check RPM's, but on "test" mode, it should blow pretty well, and should spin easily by hand (unpowered)
stick a piece of reflective tape on an air fin and use a no contact tachometer to measure RPMS, I'm going to call it as a wiring snafu...It's happened to me and I run into 1 or 2 every other year or so.

UPDATE- MY bottom convection fan was/is a fasco # B 47120. the old one i took out and the new one i put in are identical in size and model #. HOWEVER, THE SPECS ARE DIFFERENT- specs on old fan read @1500rpm/ 180cfm. new fan specs according to fasco website is 1360rpm/160cfm. less cfm =hotter air,=hotter stove. tech to put new fan in next week.-tbc...
Non of this is making much sense....you should have a Dayton motor under this this for an insert....

Status
Not open for further replies.