Harmon Advance Noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herbsties

Sep 23, 2007
I have a new Harmon Advance and like it alot so far with one exception. It make a weird sound every 30 to 40 seconds . I initially thought it was the feed auger and that's just the sound it made when it runs, but this morning I looked in and saw the end of the auger turning and I could hear nothing. It was silent but a few seconds later the sound again . It occurs with a fairly steady frequency and the sound always lasts for the same duration. It sounds like a electric motor/barn cleaner{manure conveyor} Most of the time it is accompanied by a squeaking noise that kind of chatters like a chipmunk. Is this normal ? What sounds should the stove make ? I don't want to call the dealer if this is normal.

Harmon Advance with Selkirk Direct Temp venting

pull the back covers and see if it makes the noise at the same point in the augers rotation watch the cam follower on the back, where is the cam follower when it makes the noise?
It could be slide plate is binding or the chain misaligned. So this is your starting point

Thanks for the tip . I took the back covers off and watched a few cycles . It is at the point in the gear rotation where the cam opens the slide plate. The chain appears to be running straight. I lubed the cam/plate with a small shot of graphite lube spray so I'll see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.