Harmon OAK connection?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbmaine

Apr 4, 2009
USA
Hi all, After reading all the posts on the advantages of an OAK I decided to use one on my P68. I have plenty of 3" flex to run to the outside but am trying to figure out how to tie it in to the 2 3/8 ID I need on the stove. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the proper connector for these two sizes. The stove shop where I bought my stove is a bit of a hike but Home Depot and Lowes are near by. If you could tell me what to look for/ ask for , that would be great.
Thanks
JB

jbmaine said:
Hi all, After reading all the posts on the advantages of an OAK I decided to use one on my P68. I have plenty of 3" flex to run to the outside but am trying to figure out how to tie it in to the 2 3/8 ID I need on the stove. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the proper connector for these two sizes. The stove shop where I bought my stove is a bit of a hike but Home Depot and Lowes are near by. If you could tell me what to look for/ ask for , that would be great.
Thanks
JB

This may not be the best way... but I just crushed the 3" pipe from Lowe's onto my smaller Harman Advance intake with a hose clamp. The connection is made, might not be pretty but its behind the stove so if it works, don't fix it. I can post pics if you want to see it.

Maybe it's just me, but I looked at all the ways to rig up an OAK, and at the end of the day I thought...I just spent all this money on the stove why not buy the correct Harman OAK for the stove. Easy install and it works perfect.

amick780 said:
Maybe it's just me, but I looked at all the ways to rig up an OAK, and at the end of the day I thought...I just spent all this money on the stove why not buy the correct Harman OAK for the stove. Easy install and it works perfect.

I bought my Harman second hand and it came with the Harman through-wall thimble w/ OAK and some odd bits of Simpson Duravent. The flex hose supplied was not long enough for my corner installation. I chose to save money and stick with the Simpson and a cheap flex hose from Lowe's. It works for me. Honestly if I didn't have the mixed bag of parts already I would have just gone to the Harmon dealer and paid for their kit, but that wasn't the case.

I understand....thought it was a new stove. I that case I'd be doing the same thing.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I checked both HD and Lowes for a connecter, no luck. Then called the two nearest Harman dealers. Both said in my partuclar situation ( stove in basement with around 15 ft to nearest outside wall) I don't need an OAK. One said at that distance an OAK would do more harm than good ( too much restriction in air flow over that distance). So at this point I think I'll try it with out an OAK for now. This is my first year with a pellet stove and I havn't really run it yet. As soon as the weather turns colder I'll fire it up and see what happens. I can always crack a basement window open for fresh air if needed.
Thanks again
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.