Harmon P38 distribution blower noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trgleason

Jan 18, 2010
Poconos, PA
Hello and thanks in advance.

My distribution blower has started making a peculiar clicking or popping noise. It's intermittent but regular (does not go more then 10 sec. without making the noise) At first you would think the fan was hitting something but after listening for a while it does not sound like that's the case. The noise is not loud, moderate I guess. The stove is downstairs and I can't hear it upstairs. But I think if I had to spend any amount of time downstairs with the new noise it would drive me crazy. If I turn the blower setting down to 1/3 or less the noise stops. Any setting above 1/3 produces the noise. The blower doesn't sound like it has lost any power or revolutions, in other words besides the new noise it sounds like it always did. I pulled the side covers and vacuumed everything including inside the blower of course and it still makes the noise. I was hoping someone had an idea to the problem. I'm not sure if maybe it's a bearing issue or whatever. I'm not sure when I'll be able to pull it off to take a look.

I'm a newbie here. I had a wood stove for 5 years and I've had my Harmon P38 for about 7. I clean it regularly during the winter and it gets a thorough cleaning in the spring. I replaced the combustion blower myself a few years ago. I burn about 2 ton a year supplementing with electric heat.

smwilliamson said:
Remove the motor, 3 and 1 oil the shaft and bearings toss it back in. Also, clean out the fines hopper while you are there.

and, while you have the motor out, clean the squirrel cage, and shake out any loose pellets, debris within the housing....sometimes pellets fall in there from loading the hopper above....

smwilliamson said:
Remove the motor, 3 and 1 oil the shaft and bearings toss it back in. Also, clean out the fines hopper while you are there.

Use the 3 & 1 blue can. The red can doesn't last that long. The blue can is furmulated for electric motors. Just FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.