Harmon P61 Pellet Stove Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scrane

Nov 30, 2008
Eastern NH
Hello All,
I purchased my stove in March of 01. The stove has run well for most of the time I've had it with the exception of the last two years where it, in sumary, seems to be burning rich. There is a lot of black ash and the the ash from the burn pot just builds up and clogs up the flame. The ash is somwhat clumped together and there is evidence of unburnt pellets within. I am burning New England brand pellets which are supposed to be of premium quality. Things I've done to correct the problem; I have been in contact with the dealer and they have assisted me. I have replaced the ESP probe, temp sensor, PC board, all door seals and the burn pot gasket. Additionally I had the dealer come and do a "proffesional" cleaning and check. When the service tech had finished he stated that everything looked ok. I have been very diligent about keeping the stove very clean and have done many experiments with the feed rate, intake air, etc. including swaping my pellets with a friend to ensure they are not the issue. It only takes about six hours for the burn pot to become cloged and the heat output to be reduced. Please note that the dealership has been very helpfull however the end result has remained the same, they are as stumped as me. Any help you folks can provide would be much appriciated.

scrane said:
Hello All,
I purchased my stove in March of 01. The stove has run well for most of the time I've had it with the exception of the last two years where it, in sumary, seems to be burning rich. There is a lot of black ash and the the ash from the burn pot just builds up and clogs up the flame. The ash is somwhat clumped together and there is evidence of unburnt pellets within. I am burning New England brand pellets which are supposed to be of premium quality. Things I've done to correct the problem; I have been in contact with the dealer and they have assisted me. I have replaced the ESP probe, temp sensor, PC board, all door seals and the burn pot gasket. Additionally I had the dealer come and do a "proffesional" cleaning and check. When the service tech had finished he stated that everything looked ok. I have been very diligent about keeping the stove very clean and have done many experiments with the feed rate, intake air, etc. including swaping my pellets with a friend to ensure they are not the issue. It only takes about six hours for the burn pot to become cloged and the heat output to be reduced. Please note that the dealership has been very helpfull however the end result has remained the same, they are as stumped as me. Any help you folks can provide would be much appriciated.

What are you using for venting?

Eric

I'm using standard pellet stove vent pipe. There are two 45's not including the cleanout and the entire run is approximatly 8',

Thanks, Scott

No, there was no draft test performed and I did ask about the combustion blower but they said if it was running and not making a bunch of noise then it's probably good to go. I believe that now is a good time to confirm their theory. I was going to connect the fan independantly to an AC line through a potetiometer so as to be able to crank up the RPM's but I'll save myself the trouble and just replace it.

Thanks for the reply

Status
Not open for further replies.