harmon p61 pellet stove sensor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freebird77

Feeling the Heat
Jul 4, 2007
Hallstead Pa.
Hi, Brand new here, looks like an informative site. Had a new Harmon p61 pellet stove installed last week. It has a room temp sensing probe on the back, apx. 3 or 4 feet long. It just lays on the floor behind the stove. Shouldnt this be run out at a more appropriate location for maximum stove efficiency?
The installer didnt say anything about it, but the manual says its possible to do using 18-2 thermostat wireto extend it. Anyone have any advice, and Id love to hear from anyone with a simalar stove, and what they think of it. Thank you, and Happy Fourth.

You can extend the wire to whichever area or room which you would like the stove to control the temperature in. You can extend it up to 100 feet, but extending it to the other side of the house doesn't make sense because the stove will be overheating the room its in to keep the distant room at a reasonable temperature.

Depends on your house and drafts.
Most here will tell you they just curl it up and lay it on the floor behind the stove.(this is where the room air is drawn into the distribution blower)
Mine I keep mounted behind the stove but about 2 feet up the wall.
You will find that experimentation with placement and your room temp settings will most likely be different from mine and every one else.
I would start with it behind the stove though, there really isn't a need to extend it, but if you do keep it under the recommended 25 feet.

Mine is just at the back of the stove near the intake.

I agree with GVA, you may wish to start by just leaving it behind the stove and see how that works for you.

BTW, welcome to the Hearth!

Thanks for the advice. think Ill leave it there for now and see how it works. What do you all think of the P61?
Nice to be part of this site.

Most folks are very happy with the P61. There are several owners on gardenweb.com too.

I like mine. It is simple to operate, easy to clean, and keeps the home warm.

If you have any specific questions, fire away (there are some very knowledgeable people here).

not that it matters for probe placement, but for other issues, its important to designate whether the stove is a P61, or a P61A....otherwise, I concur with what GVA says.

oddly enough, the P61 is my favorite unit of the line....also the one I own. Its simple, without the complexitites of autoignition, with an igniter which needs to be cleaned, etc. Easy to get at and clean the heat exchanger, simple and ready removal of parts if repair is an issue. I think you'll like the unit.

Hey Freebird, why the P61 instead of the P61A?

I really like the auto ignition, very convenient.

Thanks guys, sounds like I made a wise choice. I didnt get the auto ignition because weve already spent more then we thought wed have to with the the install, chrome trim, fake logs etc; The dealer said that later on we could add the auto ignite, maybe once the stove was paid for. Doug

FWIW The auto Ignition is only good in the fall and spring in my house. Otherwise my stove is running 24/7.
Though It's not quite as cold as Ontario here in Mass :)
Freebird what is you're Location?

Not sure what anyone else thinks here but I believe the fake logs though nice and romantic will only speed up the blackening of the glass.
At least that's what I've heard........... HARRY..........I'll let the pro field this one....

GVA said:
FWIW The auto Ignition is only good in the fall and spring in my house. Otherwise my stove is running 24/7.
Though It's not quite as cold as Ontario here in Mass :)
Freebird what is you're Location?

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Like GVA, in the winter my stove is also running 24/7. Spring and fall are when the auto ignition is handy. I did not know that it could be retro fitted. That's great should you decide in the future that you want that feature.

GVA - 22C here right now :) , but hot and humid for the next week (humidex up to 37-39C) :bug: .

Hello All,

I am also a new poster in the forum, though I have referenced it for information from time to time. Lots of people "in the know" out here which is great!
I recently purchased a used Harmon P 61A stove and have additional question about the sensor in question. Does anyone know if this can be hooked up to a programmable thermostat? I did this with my other/first pelet stove (A St Croix Hastings) and it was as simple as moving a jumper on the control board. I don't see anything about doing this in my Harmon manual and was wondering if it was possible. I'm going to be installing this stove in my basement and it would be nice to have it shut down each night at 8 PM and restart at 5 AM.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

mkmh said:
Hello All,

I am also a new poster in the forum, though I have referenced it for information from time to time. Lots of people "in the know" out here which is great!
I recently purchased a used Harmon P 61A stove and have additional question about the sensor in question. Does anyone know if this can be hooked up to a programmable thermostat? I did this with my other/first pelet stove (A St Croix Hastings) and it was as simple as moving a jumper on the control board. I don't see anything about doing this in my Harmon manual and was wondering if it was possible. I'm going to be installing this stove in my basement and it would be nice to have it shut down each night at 8 PM and restart at 5 AM.

MKMH:
Welcome, don't be shy, none of us have hanta virus in our bites, but, my suggestion is, start your own thread. Painless, takes no more time than your above post, could even do a copy and paste, but the best answers will come to your thread. You will get te specific information to you. I started that way, and no hit team has made it to my place, of course I plowed the access road. :-S

BTW these are two very different stoves.

mkmh said:
Hello All,

posted abt this awhile ago....here it is:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/7790/

freebird77 said:
Thanks guys, sounds like I made a wise choice. I didnt get the auto ignition because weve already spent more then we thought wed have to with the the install, chrome trim, fake logs etc; The dealer said that later on we could add the auto ignite, maybe once the stove was paid for. Doug

no, incorrect statement. Harman at this time doesnt make a retrofit kit to convert a non-autoigniting unit to autoigniting. Its theoretically possible to convert one if you do a few things:

1. drill and tap the burnpot to accept the igniter
2. drill the rear assembly to accept wiring
3. replace the circuitboard
4. replace the control panel cover
5.?

Point is, its easier and cheaper to just buy the A version for $100-$150 rather than retrofit it. If you did it yourself, it'd still cost more, since the board isnt cheap, but I shudder to think what I'd have to charge to do it to a customer's unit.

The logs in the P61 dont really interfere at all with the airwash, so no, the glass stays the same with respect is ash buildup and/or sooting. In the p61's the logs sit behind the fire, whereas in, say, GVA's Advance, they actually sit right near the glass.

MKMH:
Welcome, don't be shy, none of us have hanta virus in our bites, but, my suggestion is, start your own thread. Painless, takes no more time than your above post, could even do a copy and paste, but the best answers will come to your thread. You will get te specific information to you. I started that way, and no hit team has made it to my place, of course I plowed the access road. :-S

BTW these are two very different stoves.

Thanks very much...I will be sure to do that next time.
They sure are two very different stoves. I'm going into my 3rd season with the St Croix which I purchased new from a dealer in NH. I had heard all the buzz about Harmon stoves and wanted to buy one at that time...BUT the wife liked the looks of the St Croix and she overruled me (imagine that). The St Croix has been very good to us, but I really stay on top of teh cleanings and maintenence. Seems like I average 30 minutes per week during the peak of heating season. When I got the P61A home I noticed right away how much easier it was going to be to clean. Big open spaces and easily removed parts. The stove had been sitting for a while when I bought it, and clearly did not get it's annual cleaning after it's last year of use. Still, it only took me about 1 hour to complete a thorough cleaning of the burn pot, ignitor area, exchanges, hopper, exhaust, and around all the fans. This included a fair amount of chipping solid matter out of the burn pot. The stove looks great now, and it fired up when I tested it out (after cleaning).
I'm very interested to see if the Harmon lives up to the hype and out performs my St Croix. It's rated at 61,000 BTU's where the St Croix is 38,000 (or something like that) so obviously it is capable of throwing a lot more heat. However, i'm very interested to see if it requires far less maitenence, runs with (perceived) greater efficiency, and provides me with trouble free operation.

HarryBack said:

Perfect! This was exactly what I was looking for. I have a honeywell RTH2308...i'll probably take my chances with it rather than buy a brand new set back right out of the gate. Hopefully the jumper will be as easy to get to as it was on my St Croix Hastings stove. Does anyone have the technical bulletin electronically or should I just contact Harmon? I'd love to get a picture of the board so I can see a graphical representation of where the jumper is. (hopefully it'll be obvious when I open it)

Wow I missed that post HB, Don't think its needed here at my house though since my house would get cold too quick.

MKMH.... The jumper HB means is in the honeywell T-Stat or all T-Stats for that matter not the stove.
I belive you would have a wire come from the back of the stove (room temp plug)to the T-Stat, then from the T-stat to one lead of room temp probe then other lead of room temp probe to other half of room temp plug, but then again I'm not sure... :-/

GVA said:
Wow I missed that post HB, Don't think its needed here at my house though since my house would get cold too quick.

MKMH.... The jumper HB means is in the honeywell T-Stat or all T-Stats for that matter not the stove.
I belive you would have a wire come from the back of the stove (room temp plug)to the T-Stat, then from the T-stat to one lead of room temp probe then other lead of room temp probe to other half of room temp plug, but then again I'm not sure... :-/

Ah yes, that was pretty clearly stated in the post, I just missed it. I think I had my mind set on cracking open the control board...glad I won't have to do that though.

Anyone have any thoughts/guesses on what will be the first thing to go wrong with my P61-A? Auger motor and all fans sounds good and are now clean, but the stove is about 4 years old and it appears that it was neglected (to some extent). Right away I can tell the igniter is a bit weak. I thorough cleaned teh area around it and it still seemed to take little bit too long to light. Pellets were nearly spilling out of the burnpot when it finally lit. Pretty sure i'm not warranteed on much of anything at this point, so I think i'll be on my own if something goes wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.