Harmon P61 Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zcamper

Dec 11, 2014
Hello All,

I'm new here and new to the pellet game in general. I look forward to getting to know everyone and learning as much as I can.

My question is: I have a Harmon p61 and I believe it is missing its flame guide, is this important? and how do I know I'm actually missing it?

Thanks,
Zac

Not sure if you have the manual: http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/P61.pdf

Did the tech mention it? Since I don't have a Harman, can't provide you with much info on what it looks like or it's function. I'm sure one of the Harman owners will chime in ...

Glad to hear you got it serviced professionally. Are you planning on doing your own servicing from now on? Lots of resources on the Harman website along with knowledgeable owners here.

The flame guide should be a cast iron piece that fits above the burn pot. It has a groove on either side that allows it to rest securely to either side of real burnout. The flame guide is a consumable part so you should be able to get one from a local dealer.

Here is a replacement flame guide. The two slots shown sit right on the walls of the burn pot. The guide forms a kind of partial lid on top of the burn pot. It's heavy cast iron, maybe 1/2" thick or so. The photo makes it look larger than it is, as mentioned it literally sits on the burn pot sides. One easily mistake as part of the welded up burn pot but it is not. http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/Harman-Pellet-Stove-Flame-Guide-p/3-00-08534.htm

Reactions: Harman Lover 007
Here is a replacement flame guide. The two slots shown sit right on the walls of the burn pot. The guide forms a kind of partial lid on top of the burn pot. It's heavy cast iron, maybe 1/2" thick or so. The photo makes it look larger than it is, as mentioned it literally sits on the burn pot sides. One easily mistake as part of the welded up burn pot but it is not. http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/Harman-Pellet-Stove-Flame-Guide-p/3-00-08534.htm

And the stove shouldn't be operated without it....

Looks like I might be missing the flame guide on my P61 as well. Does anyone have a pic with the flame guide in place? What issues could come about by not having it in there?

Looks like I might be missing the flame guide on my P61 as well. Does anyone have a pic with the flame guide in place? What issues could come about by not having it in there?
Basically I wouldn't expect to see a normal flame pattern, the heat/flame/combustion air will be directed in ways that were not intended by the manufacturer of the stove. That guide does as it says, guides the flame into the air channel for proper combustion. If you don't have one get one is my suggestion. I really would hesitate on using the stove without it personally. It's an integral piece to the works , it also takes a lot of heat and so is designed to be replaceable. Readily available, why go without it ? Would you run a wood stove without it's baffle if it was designed with one ?

Reactions: Harman Lover 007
Basically I wouldn't expect to see a normal flame pattern, the heat/flame/combustion air will be directed in ways that were not intended by the manufacturer of the stove. That guide does as it says, guides the flame into the air channel for proper combustion. If you don't have one get one is my suggestion. I really would hesitate on using the stove without it personally. It's an integral piece to the works , it also takes a lot of heat and so is designed to be replaceable. Readily available, why go without it ? Would you run a wood stove without it's baffle if it was designed with one ?
$30 is pretty steep as my stove shop sells them for about $19...

Don't be afraid to come back with other questions since you are new to the pellet world. Harmans are a reliable stove that will provide you with really good heat as long as you give it some tlc (cleaning) along the way!

Enjoy the new house:)

Reactions: alternativeheat
here is a video of what the flame guide is supposed to look like

Flame guide at 2:45 mark

Reactions: Zcamper
here is a video of what the flame guide is supposed to look like

Flame guide at 2:45 mark

I can now see why its so important. I was able to pick one up on lunch today, I cant wait to get home and see the different that this makes, I assume it will operate better and more efficiently.

Thank you!

I can now see why its so important. I was able to pick one up on lunch today, I cant wait to get home and see the different that this makes, I assume it will operate better and more efficiently.

Thank you!
Actually you can tell us !!

Reactions: alternativeheat
I can see why my pellets overflow over the sides now, I will be picking one up from the local shop this weekend.

What;s with all these missing flame guides?
Used stoves Tony. I don't know, got lost in the move, burned up on the old owner who never replaced it because it still burned pellets ? Hey, maybe we should remove ours !!!

Reactions: yrock87
Now I am curious to know how the stove works without the flame guard ;)
I have to admit to being a little curious myself. You go first !!

Status
Not open for further replies.