Harmon P68 Horrible vibration...did I intall my heat shields wrong???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brian22

Apr 28, 2009
Maine
I had to put heat shields on my P68 and it vibrates very loudly when the Pellet feeder runs.. Does anyone know if I installed my heat shields wrong..don't know how that could be..but the noise can't be right??????????????????????????????//

Brian, did you ever figure out what's up with the vibration noise. I have a Harmon P61A with the same thing happening. It was nice and quiet last year. Over the summer I had the dealer come back and replace my ignitor (under warranty). I'm not sure if they did something during that installation but now the thing has this loud metal vibrating kind of sound. I've tried to figure out where it's coming from but can't seem to solve it.

It seems to be a common problem with harmans in that when you remove the back panels something just doesn't line up like it used to and you end up with a vibration. Usually if you touch or apply a little pressure the noise will stop and you can tell where the problem is and maybe by adjusting or moving that panel just a little the stove will be quiet again.

No idea if this relates or not, but I have a Harman insert. Had it for a very long time. I got used to the fact that there were some vibrations and I had to shim the side panels to stop them from rattling. This year my combustion blower finally completely croaked so I installed a new one and hastily threw the stove back together to try it out. No more rattles at all. No shims. The thing is like brand new. The bearings must have been going or something, causing a high speed harmonic that shook things. Now my stove is awesome again. I have fallen back in love with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.