1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Harmon p68 questions

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Mackdog, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mackdog

Mackdog Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    We recently purchased and my husband installed a Harmon p 68.....I have a few questions if someone wouldnt mind answering.
    We have a 2800 square foot home, bi-level. We put the stove on the first floor. We are hoping to use no or very minimal propane. We are wanting to heat maybe 600 sq feet of the first floor and all of the 2nd floor. What I'm wondering is the L and H under room tem and stove temp....what does that do?? Blow more heat that is already there based on the temp you set and does it burn more pellets or something different? Also, I see alot of questions and surveys on here regarding manual or auto. Do most of you experiment to see what is better and why?? I don't get it. Please help!!
    What are the typical settings you all use in the coldest part of winter??

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. escobarmj

escobarmj Member

Loc:
    RI
    L and H are distribution blower settings. Controls the speed of the fan that is blowing air over the heat exchanger and then into the room. Setting the distribution blower to H will eventually lead to a higher fuel consumption because more heat is being transferred out of the stove. The room temp or stove temp control will feed more pellets to recover temperature. My preference is to select the high distribution blower setting. I have noticed that others on this forum set it midway between L and H.
    I have used both room temp and stove temp mode. I personally like stove temp better. Room temp mode tries to adjust the room to the desired temperature. When the room gets to temperature, the distribution blower turns off and the stove eventually turns off (if on auto ignite). I personally don't like running my stove with the distribution blower off. I would recommend that you pick either stove temp mode or room temp, and stick with it for a while to get familiar with the settings. The manual recommends starting with a feed rate of 4 and adjust based on how your particular pellets burn. I have my feed set to 3 now, but will probably bump up to 4 when it gets cold.
  3. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
  4. Mackdog

Mackdog Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    Thank you for the replies, this is a learning experience and sometimes I can be impatient. I want to know everything now instead of trial and error. If anyone else wants to add their 2 cents, please feel free.
  5. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA

You'll still have to deal with some trial and error due
    to the variables that can make a stove run differently from the next,
    such as brand of pellets, different type of installations, etc.

Enjoy the warmth!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.