Harmon p68 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackdog

Oct 27, 2008
Ohio
We recently purchased and my husband installed a Harmon p 68.....I have a few questions if someone wouldnt mind answering.
We have a 2800 square foot home, bi-level. We put the stove on the first floor. We are hoping to use no or very minimal propane. We are wanting to heat maybe 600 sq feet of the first floor and all of the 2nd floor. What I'm wondering is the L and H under room tem and stove temp....what does that do?? Blow more heat that is already there based on the temp you set and does it burn more pellets or something different? Also, I see alot of questions and surveys on here regarding manual or auto. Do most of you experiment to see what is better and why?? I don't get it. Please help!!
What are the typical settings you all use in the coldest part of winter??

L and H are distribution blower settings. Controls the speed of the fan that is blowing air over the heat exchanger and then into the room. Setting the distribution blower to H will eventually lead to a higher fuel consumption because more heat is being transferred out of the stove. The room temp or stove temp control will feed more pellets to recover temperature. My preference is to select the high distribution blower setting. I have noticed that others on this forum set it midway between L and H.
I have used both room temp and stove temp mode. I personally like stove temp better. Room temp mode tries to adjust the room to the desired temperature. When the room gets to temperature, the distribution blower turns off and the stove eventually turns off (if on auto ignite). I personally don't like running my stove with the distribution blower off. I would recommend that you pick either stove temp mode or room temp, and stick with it for a while to get familiar with the settings. The manual recommends starting with a feed rate of 4 and adjust based on how your particular pellets burn. I have my feed set to 3 now, but will probably bump up to 4 when it gets cold.

melkyleb2002 said:
We recently purchased and my husband installed a Harmon p 68.....I have a few questions if someone wouldnt mind answering.
We have a 2800 square foot home, bi-level. We put the stove on the first floor. We are hoping to use no or very minimal propane. We are wanting to heat maybe 600 sq feet of the first floor and all of the 2nd floor. What I'm wondering is the L and H under room tem and stove temp....what does that do?? Blow more heat that is already there based on the temp you set and does it burn more pellets or something different?
It is the distribution fan speed that is the fan that blows air into the room.
L is low speed and H is high speed, placed anywhere in between and the fan will ramp up and down based on the the amount of heat needed in the room.
there has been alot of discusion here on whether to put it on high or low in the middle.
My school of thought has always been if you keep it on high, too much heat is removed from the heat exchanger and the stove will blow cooler air into the room... On low and more heat goes out the pipe.....Keep it in the middle
Also, I see alot of questions and surveys on here regarding manual or auto. Do most of you experiment to see what is better and why?? I don't get it. Please help!!
What are the typical settings you all use in the coldest part of winter??
well here's a standard answer
room temp set in middle
switch in auto
feed at 3 1/2 to 4
temp knob to how warm do you wan't it.
No 2 stove installs or homes are the same it all comes to experimenting with the settings and forming you're settings..
Me I found that moving the room temp sensor around behind the stove yielded better results like moving it about 3 feet up the wall rather than leaving it coiled behind on the floor.

Thank you for the replies, this is a learning experience and sometimes I can be impatient. I want to know everything now instead of trial and error. If anyone else wants to add their 2 cents, please feel free.

melkyleb2002 said:
..this is a learning experience
and sometimes I can be impatient. I want to know everything now instead of trial and error.

You'll still have to deal with some trial and error due
to the variables that can make a stove run differently from the next,
such as brand of pellets, different type of installations, etc.

Enjoy the warmth!

Status
Not open for further replies.