Harmon..won't shut down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marsha Cook

Nov 17, 2013
NH
Harmon p61 running fine. Decided to shut down as it was about 70 outside. Turned dial to off. Kept on running. Turned temp all the way down. Kept on running. It has now been over a half hour with the stove turned off and temp turned down. What am I missing? Don't want to pull the plug but I will.

Thanks

It should be off anytime now. It will go through a shut down period . I assume the flame is low ?

Well now wait a minute, you posted this more than an hour ago, it should have shut down by now. Is it still running ?

my P61A sometimes takes close to 1 hour before the the whole thing becomes silent..

Original poster has "pellet trainee" in the signature..
understandable about shut down time..
I was freaked out my 1st time I shut the stove off..

Mine too, Tony. But she has been waiting over an hour and still has flame if I'm reading this right. It sounds almost like it went into a maintenance burn.

OK, are you really sure the dial is set to off ? I mean you didn't just turn the dial all the way around and assume it's off but the indicator is on the off wording ? What is the feed rate set to and is the igniter switch turned on or off ?

OK, are you really sure the dial is set to off ? What is the feed rate set to and is the igniter switch turned on or off ?
Feed rate 3' , ignitor manual, rm/stv is in white, off, temp is 60, room temp at wall across the room is 83

Ya I bet it's 83. Try this, turn it back on to room temp auto and turn the igniter on. Wait maybe 4-5 minutes and then shut the stove off. Leave the igniter on.

Yes, leave the ignitor on but shut the stove off.

Have you ever shut the stove down before ?

Last edited:
In shut down it will feed pellets a few times then it should stop doing that. Watch the feeder light , in due time it should stop the periodic lighting and feeding. The combustion light will be on through the shut down.

Ya it should go off either way when you turn the stove to off. Not sure what's up but hoping this triggers the shut down.

I have shut down many times. Simply moved ignitor switch to off. Went off.
Have shut off. Did not move ignitor, set at auto.

Status is off, distribution and combustion still on.

Feeder just came on for a second or two, now off again.

It should be shorter intervals of feeder on, then not come on . Do you have this stove on a surge protector ?

About 38 seconds between feeds. What happens if i pull the plug? Does not seem to be a good thing.

Has the distribution fan settled down at all ?

What happens if you pull the plug depends on your venting. Do you have any vertical vent or is it just straight out the wall ? Do you have an OAK installed? This all matters as to if you get some smoke in the house or not.

Pulling the plug could reboot the board, like rebooting a computer.

Vented up a chimney. No OAK.

Still burning

You can pull the plug, it will just burn like a wood stove for a short time and then start to die out ( flame). Mine is vented up a chimney as well, piece of cake in a power outage ! I've had the power go out with an OAK and not, no problem.

Thanks for all your help. Not going to try it again tonight. My Girl Scout thin mints have already melted!

Status
Not open for further replies.