Harmon XXV fines box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckster

Burning Hunk
Jan 21, 2012
Sussex County NJ
Not sure what the fines box is or where it is. Is it the box under the fire box where you have to loosen the two wing nuts and take the plate off to clean. Reading a lot about cleaning it but I'm not sure if I'm cleaning the right one.
Chuck :-S

chuckster said:
Not sure what the fines box is or where it is. Is it the box under the fire box where you have to loosen the two wing nuts and take the plate off to clean. Reading a lot about cleaning it but I'm not sure if I'm cleaning the right one.
Chuck :-S

The fines box that most of us refer to is on the right hand side of the stove and is accessed by taking the side and/or rear panel off. It has one large chrome wing nut on it. This will have the fines from unburned pellets contained in it. What you are speaking of is the compartment directly under the burnpot that contains the ignitor. That should be cleaned out every time you clean the stove internally. It has two small wing nuts holding the cover on.

Thanks Harman Lover. I clean the ignitor box every week but I had no idea where the fines box was. Should this be cleaned every week or is it a once every ton or so thing to do?
Chuck

Unless you're using pellets with a load of fines in them, once a ton should be fine. My dealer said once a season, but I wasn't comfortable with that.

chuckster said:
Thanks Harman Lover. I clean the ignitor box every week but I had no idea where the fines box was. Should this be cleaned every week or is it a once every ton or so thing to do?
Chuck

I do it once a year and I burn 3 tons per year.

Has anyone ever found short pellets in the fines box??? I have a new stove which I have been cleaning weekly. As part of the cleaning, I've done the fines box twice. On both occasions, I've found short pellets in the box.

Thanks

jumpedtopells said:
Has anyone ever found short pellets in the fines box??? I have a new stove which I have been cleaning weekly. As part of the cleaning, I've done the fines box twice. On both occasions, I've found short pellets in the box.

Thanks

I have cleaned the fines box twice and found pellets both times. The second time was 2 weeks after the first time and I had about 1/8 cup of fines and 20-25 1/4" pellets. This was after about 10 bags. I am very curious to know if others experience the same thing or if I have a problem.

mepellet said:
jumpedtopells said:

Thanks

I have cleaned the fines box twice and found pellets both times. The second time was 2 weeks after the first time and I had about 1/8 cup of fines and 20-25 1/4" pellets. This was after about 10 bags. I am very curious to know if others experience the same thing or if I have a problem.

I agree, I'm interested in knowing if this is common...guess I'm not alone!!

Short pellets and fines here also. Don't clean as often as others though, I filter/clean my pellets. PA's are awful dusty and alot of fines

The feeder was designed a few years ago. The old style feeder would just have fines in it that rool off the top of the slide plate. The new feeder will get short pellets in it. I think it was made to pull the fines and buildup back into the auger, kinda self cleaning. I have not seen one of these new designs packed yet.

rickwai said:
The feeder was designed a few years ago. The old style feeder would just have fines in it that rool off the top of the slide plate. The new feeder will get short pellets in it. I think it was made to pull the fines and buildup back into the auger, kinda self cleaning. I have not seen one of these new designs packed yet.

My stove has a born on date of June or July of 2011. I assume this is the new style feeder?

Wasn't sure what the "fines box" might be on an XXV, so I browsed through the manual and found the image below. Page 27 describes cleaning out the fines from the hopper feeder. If there's another area to cleanout fines I couldn't find it in the manual.

Attachments

• Fines Cleanout.jpg
    Fines Cleanout.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 2,858
yep, you can get smaller pellets in the fines box, ESPECIALLY when the stove isnt level and leans a bit to that side.....pellets can migrate in that direction due to gravity, and can fit over the slide plate into the fines container....not an issue if you are diligent in cleaning that area every ton or so, but could be an issue if you dont or if your have an extremely out of level stove.

Have not found any pellets in the fines box as of yet, but the dustier the pellets
the faster it fills up. I normally only need to vac it out once during my mid-season
cleaning.

I clean my fines box on my Harman once every week or two, but that's just me. I clean my stove a LOT. And yes, there are always short pellets in there. I use my shop vac and get all the junk out of the fines box, then spray it inside with whatever lube I have on hand...WD-40, Graphite spray, Dupont dry wax spray, Silicone lube, whatever.

Thanks for the input...wasn't sure if I had a problem with the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.