Harmon XXV...first time firing up this year....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tundraSQ

Oct 7, 2006
I am just kind of kicking the tires and running a few bags thru the stove...but i am noticing for the first time that i am smelling smoke inside the house.

I do not remember smelling smoke before unless i had a window open...I checked the exhaust and cleaned that pretty good...i know i need to do a good cleaning...but does this suggest i should replace the rope on the door?

If the rope on the door is in good shape, check the Tee and make sure
it is twisted tight. When I smell smoke after a thorough cleaning, this is
usually the culprit.

I just checked the rope and it is toast....almost non-exsistant on top...so i will replace this tomorrow.

I was reading the manual and came across somethign talking about a screened low draft sensor that should be in the feed chamber...i could not find this at all.

Do you have on in yours? The manual makes it seem like it is on the side up high...on the left side.

tundraSQ said:
I just checked the rope and it is toast....almost non-exsistant on top...so I will replace this tomorrow.....

You never smelled smoke before? And the rope gasket on top suddenly "disappeared" over the summer? :roll:

I'm sure it didn't suddenly disappear over the summer...but no like i said this is the first time i am noticing smoky smell.

If its is the gasket its possible it was gradual last year and i didn't notice it...

Is there a point to your condescending response?

tundraSQ said:
Is there a point to your condescending response?

No, sorry....I didn't mean to come across that way. I just thought it strange that the gasket was gone, but you never smelled smoke before.

My apologies. :down:

tundraSQ said:
I was reading the manual and came across somethign talking about a screened low draft sensor that should be in the feed chamber...i could not find this at all.

Do you have on in yours? The manual makes it seem like it is on the side up high...on the left side.

I do not recall ever seeing it on my stove so I just checked again in case I missed it - nothing.

My XXV was manufactured Feb 2009 has a low draft sensor in the pellet bin. It's near the top of the bin on the left hand side about 4 inches from the front of the bin. It sticks up about 1 1/2 inches and looks, and is shaped, a lot like a wine bottle cork. It'd be easy to knock loose.

cliff

Thanks for the description- that confirms I don't have it.

My XXV was born in 2005 with no mention of the low draft sensor in my manual.
Must be on the newer models because it is in the revised manuals.

tundraSQ how old is your stove?

I believe that the whole stove body runs on a vacuum. ( sensor in the pellet chamber ) Rope on the door would only allow air into the burn chamber not smoke out. I agree with a good look at the T. Smoke can only get out after the fan box.

tinkabranc said:
Thanks for the description- that confirms I don't have it.

My XXV was born in 2005 with no mention of the low draft sensor in my manual.
Must be on the newer models because it is in the revised manuals.

tundraSQ how old is your stove?
mine is also 06...i was looking at an online manual...and never saw that in any of the other manuals i checked....might be a newer item.

Mine does the smoke smell thing for the first couple of burns and I think it is the dust that settles in the stove vents that is burning off.

I have an XXV and want to replace the rope gasket on the door. Does anyone know what size diameter it is? Can you buy it precut to the right length? Special adhesive?

Thought I read somewhere about not using the adhesive that the kits come with, but can't remember. Anyway, if someone could steer me in the right direction it'd be much appreciated? I like to buy locally, but will probably have to buy online.

Also looking to buy a Rutland 3" brush. I found these online and was hoping to get them both from the same supplier at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.