Harmon XXV Major Electrical Failure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Block Island Pellet

Mar 20, 2016
New York
I bought a used Harmon XXV that is about 8 years old. I did a thorough cleaning and it started up right away. The only part that did not work is the igniter which I pulled out to replace at a later date. It stopped running after a few days with a complete electrical shutdown and I found that the fuse had blown on the circuit board. Upon replacement it started right up for a few hours then shut down again. When I went to check the fuse again I noticed two wires pinched on the wiring harness (The blue and yellow wires). As I tried to unplug the harness from the board to inspect the two wires shorted out and triggered my house circuit breaker. Needless to say the fuse was blown as well on the circuit board. I taped the wires, put in a new fuse, and reset my circuit breaker. Now I get nothing - no lights. Upon visual inspection of the circuit board, there does not seem to be any damage. What else can I check before buying a whole new circuit board?

GEt a good magnifier and start looking at the traces. Likely a loss:( New board is about $240
Rule #1 when doing anything electrical on stoves is to unplug them and as most manuals state get a good surge suppressor or UPS to plug them into.
Welcome and good luck

Your experience sounds just like my own this past fall. Popping fuses, crimped wires. My big problem was the shutdown cycle not completing.

I checked around for a new board, pricing all over the place. Eventually contacted a somewhat local (~20 miles away) Harman dealer, turns out they were extremely helpful with knowledge and tech advice, and had the best price I could find for the controller, and it was in stock. Call the main line, ask for parts and service. Not sure what the shipping would be though, that could be a deal breaker.

They've got a helluva showroom also, multiple brands, manufacturers, probably at least 70 stoves on display.

http://www.higginsenergy.com

While you have the stove apart (looking for other crimped / bare wires) you may want to replace the thermistor too.

Reactions: MikeSs
Status
Not open for further replies.