Harmon XXV - New metallic popping noise when cooling down.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tday99

Aug 25, 2009
Benton, ME
My dad has had a Harmon XXV for over 12 years with very few problems. A few weeks ago he started hearing a single metallic pop or ping noise after he shut off the stove and as it was cooling down. Has anyone experienced this before? I figure it's just the age of the stove and maybe the cast Iron has changed shape a little over the years and this is causing it on cool down. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Is room fan still blowing air well, or is fan setting set lower than normal? If heat isn't being extracted well enough the body of the stove could be hotter than in the past, leading to popping sounds when it cools.

i would say your first thought is correct. My stove randomly does that more consistent with low outside temps. I chalk it up to the metal expanding or contracting and moving someware

Also known as "oil canning"
normal for steel heating up or cooling down