Harmon XXV not feeding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbean1025

Mar 21, 2007
Southern New Hampshire
Anyone know of reasons that the stove will stop feeding other than the pellets being too long? I have a Harmon XXV that will consistently shut down due to the pellets not feeding (4 times today alone). I mix up the hopper with my hand and it starts right back up. I have removed the plate in the back feed area and cleaned out ALOT of what looked like saw dust but it continues to do the same thing. Is there any where else I should clean?

Try pulling & cleaning the ESP. It's located in the exhaust stream
& you'll hafta pull a shroud off the back to access it.
It's held in place with a 1/4 " screw thru a bracket &
into the pipe that's actually part of the stove - NOT the vent.
Pull it straight out & wipe it with some glass cleaner.
Don't use any abrasives on it or it can be damaged....

I clean the esp on a regular basis and it still does it.

pull out the auger, and look up the other side of the feeder box. you may have something restricting the pellet flow thru.. sometimes it'll act good just enough to get her going till a couple pellets fall thru wrong in the middle of the night. especially if you are getting a bunch of crap in the feeder, this points towards the likely hood of a foreign object or some sticky sawdust on the feeder's other side.

The auger is about the only thing I have not messed with on this stove. How do I remove it?

There will be 2 1/2 nuts or bolts on a flange around the auger. Open fines compartment swing the feed arm out of the way. Remove auger. Remove cam block. Remove the 2 1/2 inch nuts or bolts. Open burn door hit center of auger with a long screw driver and hammer one good hit should do it or a few light taps. Pull auger out and inspect. Reinstall in reverse order.

New to this forum, trying to diagnose auger not feeding problem on Harman XXV. Seems like the motor works, getting 10 ohm reading across the two terminals. I struggled for a couple days just trying to get the auger out. Would have been nice to know that there is a hex bolt acting as a set screw keeping the motor gearbox on the auger shaft. I was thinking that this was just the worst designing package. Now to check the motor with a power cord and see.

Can you see the auger turning and just no pellets are being sent through or do you have power to the auger motor but the auger is not turning? If it's turning and your getting no pellets to the pot you have a blockage. Unplug the stove, empty the hopper and shop vac the funnel point of the hopper at the bottom. There is a little sliding type plate at the bottom of the hopper that may get jambed up with lots of dust over time.

If your getting power to the auger but the auger is not turning I would think that you have some sort of jamb in the auger itself. Maybe rust if it hasn't run much this year.

Finally got the motor gearbox off and power to it and indeed it turned at just about 4 RPM. Cleaned out all the pellets from the auger feed tube, put everything back as it was and fired it up and its burning clean as new. I did use the opportunity to clean all the fans and auger. Glad I didn't shell out the $135 for a new motor gearbox so quickly. Don't know if it has any correlation, but I did buy some cheapo Pennington pellets from Home Depot that are much longer than normal and this auger jam happened 3 bags into them. Won't be buying them again even at just over $4 a bag.

Harmans do not like long pellets!! If it shuts down restart and watch for pellets to feed, if no feed mix up the hopper w/ your hand. If you sudddenly hear pellets fall and it start feeding and your pellets are longer than you thinkl they should be, it is a pellet issue.Normally if you have a foriegn object that is restricting flow it is on top of the slide plate or within reach frominside the hopper. If the object makes it down into the auger it usually jams the auger and it wont turn. This is my experience. I have found rocks, cardboard and toys ontop of the slide plate. I have found A ignition wrench and a nail in the auger and both jammed it.

For a common problem I would have expected to be able to easily access the auger with an allen wrench to clear the auger. Oh well, I guess it allowed for a good clean. Burnt well all night nice and hot and clean. I have a relay hooked up that brings a rheostat in and out of the thermistor cable in parallel on a timer switch. It acts as a set back thermostat during the day, tricking the stove into thinking it's warmer in the room than it is and slowing the fan and feed rate. We will see this afternoon if it keeps feeding at such a low rate.

rickwai said:
Harmans do not like long pellets!! If it shuts down restart and watch for pellets to feed, if no feed mix up the hopper w/ your hand. If you sudddenly hear pellets fall and it start feeding and your pellets are longer than you thinkl they should be, it is a pellet issue.Normally if you have a foriegn object that is restricting flow it is on top of the slide plate or within reach frominside the hopper. If the object makes it down into the auger it usually jams the auger and it wont turn. This is my experience. I have found rocks, cardboard and toys ontop of the slide plate. I have found A ignition wrench and a nail in the auger and both jammed it.

Drop a bag from shoulder height to the floor to break up long pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.