Harmon XXV Outside Air Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysmith2323

Mar 29, 2008
NH
OK - first time poster here so be easy on me! I just purchased my first pellet stove (Harman XXV) and I just installed it. Pretty basic install - didn't run into any issues except the outside air kit I bought. The pipe was only 2" and I need 2 3/4" for the stove. While I have read many debates about the need for outside air I think I am forced to install it to be 'code'. I have a window that is 38" from my exhaust and the instructions say that it my be 48" away unless you install outside air and then it is only 18". My question is in regards to the outside air kit. I bought one for $50 and it is basically a piece of flex tube and two clamps - hardly seems worth the money. Has anyone found a cheaper alternative? I read a few people used automotive flex tube and I was wondering how that worked. Any input would be great - also who do I contact to have this thing 'inspected'? Thanks!

I don't know where you live, but unless you live in a trailer, you don't need the fresh air hooked up. I don't know but I think Canada has very different installation rules than the US. If you are installing in a house , your owners manual does require you to have fresh air. Your code enforcement officer should be going by your owners manual. As far as the 48", that is measured from where the termination of the pipe to a window or door, not the hole in the wall. I installed my own stove yrs. ago and the hole is 1ft from the window but the termination, end of pipe that the gases and smoke come out, is 4ft from the window.

msmith66 said:
I don't know where you live, but unless you live in a trailer, you don't need the fresh air hooked up. I don't know but I think Canada has very different installation rules than the US. If you are installing in a house , your owners manual does require you to have fresh air. Your code enforcement officer should be going by your owners manual. As far as the 48", that is measured from where the termination of the pipe to a window or door, not the hole in the wall. I installed my own stove yrs. ago and the hole is 1ft from the window but the termination, end of pipe that the gases and smoke come out, is 4ft from the window.

It looks like he lives in New Hampshire.

msmith66 said:
I think he is direct venting so the center of the termination must be 4feet away from the window

Status
Not open for further replies.