Harmon XXV used prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goatman-68

Nov 30, 2008
Central Wisconsin
Hi all, I have a chance to buy a 3 year old XXV for $1000.00. I have a bi level house with an XXV upstairs and wanted a smaller stove for the lower level. I know the XXV is a bit of an overkill for my square footage but i am thinking the price is too good to pass up.

Anyone bought a used one? If so how much.....

Thanks -- Rick

Never bought a used one and don't know what they're worth but $1000 sounds like a sweet deal...

Personally I would be all over that deal because having 2 identical stoves would be very valuable to me... Looks consistent throughout the house, no new cleaning techniques or other learning curve, ability to swap parts when troubleshooting... All kinds of good reasons to jump on that deal I think.

What kind of condition is it in?
Not sure what a 3 year old stove is worth, but I would check it out for that price.
If running two stoves at the same time is overkill for your home, you can always alternate which one
you want to run.

I am debating on purchasing a two year old Advance-2 from a buddy for $1200.00 right now as he
is going back to burning wood.

tinkabranc said:
What kind of condition is it in?
Not sure what a 3 year old stove is worth, but I would check it out for that price.
If running two stoves at the same time is overkill for your home, you can always alternate which one
you want to run.

I am debating on purchasing a two year old Advance-2 from a buddy for $1200.00 right now as he
is going back to burning wood.

It is in nice condition and is a painted version that the stove shop does. I think I am going to go back and take a detailed look at it again.

just sold a 2 year old XXV for 2900 flat.

I paid $1400 for a used Harman Advance and it needed some cleaning and refurbishment. $1k is a good deal for a Harman even if you need to clean it up a bit.

You have a good idea as I did the same thing a year ago and having two identical stoves is good for several ideas.
Having said that I found out burning twice as many pellets made my economic advantage look bleak. But I learned to use that second stove just when I needed too and shut it off when not needed.

Well I went and looked at it again last night and it is extremely dirty. Overall good condition, but it looks like the heat exchanger was never scraped. I have never let my XXV get that dirty, but maybe I am anal about cleaning.................... I am still going to buy it and do a thorough cleaning and either install it or resell after cleaning.......... Thanks all for your input

Be sure to post pics when you get it up and running. ;-)

Buy it.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Buy it.

Eric

Bought it

Well I brought it home today and will begin cleaning next week. I am not real hot on the color but I'm sure I'll get use to it. There is a spot on the glass that I am concerned with though. It looks like someone got too close with some plastic when the glass was hot.

I wonder if someone knows a good way (if any) to get melted plastic off ceramic coated glass?? I haven't tried a razor blade yet, didn't know if it would scratch the glass.

Attachments

• DSC05589 [1024x768].JPG
    DSC05589 [1024x768].JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 721
  • DSC05591 [1024x768].JPG
    DSC05591 [1024x768].JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 681
I'd try a sharp razor blade and see what happens in one small spot.

BTW, nice assortment of "toys" in your shop......is that that a Charger that has the Hemi in it?

I found that chrome polish worked to get the nasty stuff off my glass. I'm betting you have that in your garage...

macman said:
is that that a Charger that has the Hemi in it?

macman -- It is actually a 68 GTO with a built 400 and Edelbrock aluminum heads. I am doing a frame off restoration on it and has been off the road for seven years. It will be done spring of 2010.

Thanks for the tips guys on the glass. I never thought of chrome polish, I would think it would scratch the glass since it is abrasive. I'll keep that in mind.....

Attachments

• DSC05600 [1024x768].JPG
    DSC05600 [1024x768].JPG
    135 KB · Views: 618
goatman-68 said:
....macman -- It is actually a 68 GTO with a built 400 and Edelbrock aluminum heads. I am doing a frame off restoration on it and has been off the road for seven years. It will be done spring of 2010......

NICE. I guess I need my glasses changed.....I could have sworn that the valve cover looked like it had a hole for a hemi spark plug....DUH....guess not!

I've been a motor-head since I was 16....this is what we "play with" these days.....1 360 car, and 1 410 car (Dart Alum. block & Weld All Pro heads, Engler Fuel Injection on Methanol-850 Hp), we're going to race against the World of outlaws this week up in Canada.

Attachments

• Fult9_8-barger.jpg
    Fult9_8-barger.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 556
  • 410_engine.gif
    410_engine.gif
    37.6 KB · Views: 585
macman -- Car (and engine) looks very nice. I had no idea that the outlaw cars had that level of engine. We dont have too many dirt tracks left in WI.

Back to the glass, I wonder if solvent like toluene or laquer thinner would work without effecting the glass???????

goatman-68 said:
macman -- Car (and engine) looks very nice. I had no idea that the outlaw cars had that level of engine. We dont have too many dirt tracks left in WI.

Back to the glass, I wonder if solvent like toluene or laquer thinner would work without effecting the glass???????

Thanks for the compliments....yes, the WoO have run that type/size engine for many years.

Oh, BTW, actually there about 28 dirt tracks in WI (a LOT more than in NY). see this: www.chasinracin.com/track-locator/intro.shtml

As for the glass, since it's ceramic, I doubt much would harm it, but on the safe side, I'd call a stove shop and ask first, or at the very least, try a little in a corner of the burned-on plastic.

i htink the problem you'll run into trying to clean the glass is the metalized coating on the surface that makes it mirrored. I think scraping with a blade or rubbing excessively with something gritty will take the coating right off. I'm sorry that I have no suggestion as to how you can clean it.

Status
Not open for further replies.