Hartford Courant article on health & wood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chutes

Sep 8, 2008
CT
Not sure if anyone posted this already, as it was in the Hartford Courant a few days ago. Not sure that I agree with the premise, as my family burned wood this winter and my kids and me were actually less sick than in years past. I'm not attributing that to the stove, but my points is that we certainly weren't MORE sick this year. In fact, my youngest son has upper respiratory issues and we usually have to give him treatments with a nebulizer many times per winter. We've not had to do it once yet this year (knock on wood). But, here's the article for you to read for yourselves....

http://www.courant.com/news/health/hc-woodsmoke0216.artfeb16,0,7866824.story

If the houses in my neighborhood were close together, then my neighbor's burning practices would cause me severe consternation. As it is- we're on 2 acre plots, and when the wind is right, I can smell his smoke in my house- it gets bad outside (very occasionally).

I can see the point here. If everyone took the time to dry wood and burn efficient stoves properly- this would be almost a non-issue.

That was my feeling when reading the article too. There's a house down the road from me, been burning green wood all year long. Every time I drive by there is a plume of white smoke that wafts our of their chimney and blankets the house right next door to them all the time. That would get old fast.

We have a nursery nearby that burns 3 large outdoor wood furnaces to heat their entire complex. While I respect their right to earn a living and do what is necessary to stay in business by reducing costs, the fact of the matter is the pollution they are pumping out is substantial. The wood they are burning, while may be partially seasoned, is stored in giant uncovered piles exposed to the elements and burned as needed. When outdoor temps rise in late winter and early spring the thick black smoke hangs low to the ground creating a visible haze that extends far beyond their property and into surrounding neighborhoods. This is when I get real angry but to date I've never done anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.