Harvesting 1st tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffg330

Dec 23, 2012
Hi all, I just felled sp? My 1st tree, a big ole red oak. After cutting off all the limbs I'm left with roughly 50 feet of the main part of tree, I guess I should say trunk? At its narrowest it's 55 inches around.

My question is would anyone care to guess how much wood I'm going to get from just that section? Never mind the big branches! One cord? Two? This newb has no clue

Thank you

Reactions: Soundchasm
A 55" circumference suggests a diameter of 17.5". At 50 feet long that's about 83 cubic feet of solid wood, or about one cord. The actual yield will be higher, because the tree gets bigger towards the bottom, so maybe a cord and a quarter, cord and a half?

+1 with Jon. Nice score for your first tree. that's a whole lot of heat in 3 years.
Do you have other wood ready or available to burn?

+1 with Jon. Nice score for your first tree. that's a whole lot of heat in 3 years.
Do you have other wood ready or available to burn?

3 years? Wow I was hoping for two. I'm set for this year. For next year I'm wondering if a standing tree can be burned quickly.

Measure the circumference of the tree at a height of 4 1/2 feet off the ground.
    Divide the circumference by 3.14 to get the diameter.
    Refer to the University of New Hampshire's "Estimating Firewood" (see Resources). Match up your diameter to the nearest one listed on the table. For example, if the diameter of your tree is 12 inches, it will yield 0.3 cords, or about one-third of a cord of wood. A tree with a diameter of 22 inches will yield a full cord of wood.

Reactions: UncleJoe
3 years? Wow I was hoping for two. I'm set for this year. For next year I'm wondering if a standing tree can be burned quickly.
Probably not quickly but quicker.

Solar kiln, search my past posts

Depends upon where you live and how you handle the wood. Get it split as soon as possible. You need it quick so split it small. Stack it off the ground and stack it rather loosely. Do not attempt to get the picture book wood pile. You need air moving through that wood. Stack it in the windiest spot on your place if possible. Sun is good but wind is your best friend.

For next year, you do not want oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.