Has anybody ever built a "pallet house" to use as a woodshed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMtnHigh

Feeling the Heat
Oct 14, 2013
Colorado
I stumbled upon this link... http://homestead-and-survival.com/how-to-build-pallet-houses/

Working at a fireplace store that sells wood pellets I have access to a few hundred pallets a year probably or so.

This seems like it would be a viable way to build a shed on the cheap. Any opinions or thoughts or experiences especially would be welcome. I was thinking about building two of them that could both house about 4 cords of wood for my pine, and 2 that would hold 1 cord of hardwood. I could then have a good rotation between new/old and it would work out well with the stuff I have stored on my deck. I now have 2 Landmann adjustable firewood racks on my deck that are 12' long that hold quite a bit of wood. 1 will be for pine, 1 will be for hardwood. This will all be next year as I'm just prepared for winter this year but I do plan on becoming an organized hoarder :)

Here is one I used to use before I decided to just load it on the patio.

Attachments

• P1010003_01.JPG
    P1010003_01.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 389
  • P1010002_01.JPG
    P1010002_01.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 360
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 344
  • P1010001_01.JPG
    P1010001_01.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 340
That's sweet Hog! I was thinking of going kind of crazy with it and forming them up and filling the walls with concrete so as to make a pretty permanent structure. I get weird ideas sometimes but I don't see myself selling this house anytime soon either....

Mine was built from all materials I had on hand.
I also built it to be temporary. The roof framing one part, each side with upright separate parts, all connected together with 2x4s & drywall screws.
Each fall I would get it out of the barn and set it up, and each spring I would take it apart and store it back in the barn.
Not sure how the concrete would work out but seems a tad overkill and permanent, but if that is the way you want to go, why not.
Since I have the concrete pad for the patio under that deck, I decided to put a good tarp on the deck and stack the wood on the patio. Usually about 3 cord worth, and about late November when things are starting to get colder. Before that I just stack a pallet worth on the patio and burn as needed. Come spring, its back to a patio with chairs etc.
Good luck with whatever you decide, the cost can't be beat!

My shed was built almost exclusively from recycled pallets.
The "floor" is made from standard shipping pallets, the rest was made from
shipping material, (probably used for sheet metal of something similar) stained dark brown.

Originally it had a tarp for the roof, but that didn't last long. I used some sheets of plywood
that came from some skids from China, for the roof decking, and covered it with roll roofing.
Hold about 4-5 cords.
Picture 094.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 170
Reactions: RockyMtnHigh
Here is one built by a fellow I know. Being painted made it look much nicer than it would have without it. It has worked out well for him.
Petes Pallet Wood Shed.jpg

Reactions: RockyMtnHigh
Great ideas guys. I probably won't mess with the concrete now that I think about it until I decide I want it to be really permanent. I just bought this house (first one, yay!) last may so I'm not going anywhere soon.

It's good to get a visual on these structures so I can formulate a plan to build mine.

Thanks a bunch, ideas from this crew are always much appreciated.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.