Has anybody here worked on a tuned exhaust system vs hogging out a hole in a muffler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I've read that a tuned exhaust system can give you 50-100% more power. A 50% increase in power could turn a 290 into a lightweight (can you imagine?) 460. The 460 can take a 32" bar so any loss of clearance due to muffler length may be able to be accounted for... I find this interesting since a 290 will run under $400 and the 460 is just under $1K on the local dealer's website.

I'm not looking at durability here, there is an obvious difference in the two products. I'm just looking at the power. I'd imagine that there are a good many people who will never wear their chainsaw out on this board.

Matt

Oh thats bs a very well done tune pipe is between 8-15 percent the high side is new saws trying to meet EPA. My 460 is running a 3/4 inch stainless pipe

here's a pic of it.

Attachments

• muff.jpg
    muff.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 213
Ok, I'll take your word for it. But tell me, how come some two cycles sport some pretty fancy expansion chambers off the cylinder? It seems like they would just use a piece pipe if that was the best they could do.

Here is one source I was looking at:

http://www.rc-trucks.org/tuned-pipes.htm

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
Ok, I'll take your word for it. But tell me, how come some two cycles sport some pretty fancy expansion chambers off the cylinder? It seems like they would just use a piece pipe if that was the best they could do.

Here is one source I was looking at:

http://www.rc-trucks.org/tuned-pipes.htm

Matt

Tune pipes will help no dought they use them in racing but 50percent is way out of line 15 percent would be a high side for muffler work....Its air in air out gas in gas out....If thats where the case everything built would have one because that would be alot of horses just to add a tune pipe. A very well built and modded. saw at the high side would be 20-30 percent total with a tune pipe.

And what you pay for that 20-30 percent can be 200 percent more than you paid for the saw!

Status
Not open for further replies.