Has Anybody Used Flexible Chimney Liner to Tie In Boiler To Chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I think I saw what looked like that done in a European video. It seems like a practical, if more expensive, idea. Smooth transitions. The boiler I'm thinking of comes straight out the back and this could eliminate a couple of elbows. Any downside?

I think you are referring to using the flexible liner as your stove pipe? They do not allow this in the states, as far as I know. The liners are UL listed to be installed inside and existing chimney, not acting as stove pipe. I believe some of the reasoning is its thickness compared to black stove pipe and it being flexible. What if it moves some towards a combustible?

Reactions: pen
I think with the forced draft fan that the boiler will have, you probably dont need to worry about the losses from the bends as much as you would with a natural draft unit.

Thanks, that's true. Does one have to tape the joints then?

I used high temp RTV on all of my joints. Works like a charm. I don't think you'd need to worry about it if your boiler were outside, however.

I used high temp RTV on all of my joints.

All the way up the stack? I'm getting a chimney guy to install a new flue in a chase, and I didn't think I'd have to think about sealing each section joint. He quoted Dura Tech.

That's what separates a good installer from the rest of the pack Velvet. A good installer recognizes that every joint/connection has the potential for leaking & addresses that fact. The rest of the pack just slaps pipe together & calls it a day. Go with the good installer & sleep well at night.

All the way up the stack? I'm getting a chimney guy to install a new flue in a chase, and I didn't think I'd have to think about sealing each section joint. He quoted Dura Tech.

Only on the joints inside the house. I don't see any reason exterior joints would need to be sealed. The leakage is minimal but can be a nuisance for us inside guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.