Has anyone actually seen an EPA wood stove test?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slindo

Mar 14, 2008
Maine
Has anyone here actually seen a EPA wood stove test report? Are they available to the public somewhere, or do they remain proprietary?

I've seen a lot of numbers from EPA tests cited, but never the full report. My understanding is that the EPA doesn't actually test them, but there are independent test labs that are licensed to, but one assumes they results must be available somewhere.

I'm curious if they only test the stoves in perfect shape, or if they do any runs with the stove not functioning correctly - like, for example, with a bad or missing cat.

Since the purpose of the EPA test is to pass the standard with a new stove I cannot imagine why they would be testing a stove that doesn't work correctly . . . that would be akin to requiring vehicles to meet certain emission standards, having them pass as designed and new and then purposefully removing a critical component or damaging that component . . . only to find out that it fails the test . . . which would not be so surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.