Has anyone bought the plans for this wood rack?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddybry

Jul 3, 2008
N. Prov. RI
e7dd_12.JPG

These building plans will help you to build your own heavy duty custom firewood storage rack. I don't know about you, but when I buy or build something I want it to last. That's exactly what this storage rack will do and it does it with style. It's design blends in nicely with the landscape and it will safely hold over 1 1/2 cords of firewood. Why did I say safely? Some of the racks that you find for sale are single stack with a footprint of maybe 18 or 20 inches. The higher that you stack the wood in these racks, the more unstable they become. This rack is just the opposite, with a footprint of almost 4 foot wide you couldn't knock it over if you tried when it's fully loaded. It is a double stack design with an air space between to allow for proper air circulation to aid in faster drying time. If you like building things, this is an easy Saturday afternoon project for you. I came up with this design almost 20 years ago and have built several in that time at different houses that I've owned and to the best of my knowledge, they are all still standing strong and being used. Included in the building plans is a lumber and parts list as well as a list of all the tools required to complete your project. The plans are written in plain English and easy to understand. There are also several photos if you're like me and work better from illustrations than text. If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me and I'll get right back to you. Thanks for looking.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Firewood-Storag...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2556d7b9d7

are you seriously asking this? it's almost like you just spammed the forum.

i don't pay for wood rack plans. after seeing the picture to that I can figure it out on my own for free.

Danno . . . I think the OP's text is just what he lifted from the ad . . . not his own words.

That said . . . I agree . . . this is way, way too simple of a project to need plans. Some pressure treated wood and some galvanized bolts and a drill and it looks like you would be golden . . . no great challenge in building this . . . or at least it shouldn't be.

To the OP, if you truly want to build something similar to this, let us know and the folks here can give you an easy run down on what you will need and how to best build it . . . and then you can use that $3.50 to buy a bolt or two for this project.

Incidentally, I think I would modify this plan in one way . . . I don't like the look of the uprights bowing outwards . . . seems to me this would be a weak point and could potentially put a lot of stress on the uprights.

westkywood said:
Bet you'd sell me the plans
Looks like the guy sold 11 of them so you're not alone. I don't see it as being that complex as needing plans to work from but then I worked in construction much of my life and designed my own home. If I were to build something similar, I would use whatever I happen to have on hand so plans would do me no good as they would have to be modified to suit anyway.

Maybe some of the nay-sayers could post their own plans on the board. Craig could even setup something where people could vote on them for a "best of" popularity contest.

I don't think he's charging enough.

I bet he could get $15 by marketing it at $49.95 on sale for a limited time.
At $3.50 he's gonna have to sell more than 11 to recover all his production costs.

:)

build your own heavy duty custom firewood storage rack

It's not very "custom", or "your own" if you have to use plans.

I agree the slanted uprights pose a load-bearing problem, but it would provide more surface area for drying if the engineering can be worked out.

Heck I don't need plans for that, my stacks end up lookin like that anyway once the end post start bending.

Gator eye said:
Heck I don't need plans for that, my stacks end up lookin like that anyway once the end post start bending.
ROFLMAO

He says there is a space in the middle for air passage, right? I bet the two ends are tied together with a 2x4 in the middle so they pull against each other thus eliminating the stress on the fasteners. Still seems like too much work to me, KISS

ckarotka said:
He says there is a space in the middle for air passage, right? I bet the two ends are tied together with a 2x4 in the middle so they pull against each other thus eliminating the stress on the fasteners. Still seems like too much work to me, KISS
that's what I figgered as well. It was either that or some rope/twine/wire (probably 2x4 for longevity's sake)

I bet he doesn't have that, though, it looks like there is just a horizontal board below the rack and just on the top of the base that give those angled sides just enough strength that they could support that weight.

Although, without experimenting, it might be possible that those sides extend just enough past the bottom that one could actually put a single bolt through where the side meets the bottom and then just below the bottom you could have a horizontal board that presses up against the bottom. the cool part would be that when the rack is empty you could just fold the ends down and store it up against a barn or something. (not sure if my description makes sense, but trust me, in my head it works, lol)

I have about 45ft of racks in the garage, various sizes to optimize space.
I've gone all HH's for my outside stacks this year for the 2010-11 wood supply.
I will move these into the garage come mid October. I like the HH. This is my first year trying them.
Maybe not as pretty as some I've seen here, but easy to build, no tools, no rack needed.
My only concern is the first row, I built them on shingles left over from our roof to seperate the wood from
the ground. I don't know if they will be garbage next fall.

The two ends are kept from bowing out further by wood blocking above and below the horizontal pieces. It looks like they could be held in with a single bolt and fold inward when empty.

LLigetfa said:
The two ends are kept from bowing out further by wood blocking above and below the horizontal pieces. It looks like they could be held in with a single bolt and fold inward when empty.
was my description THAT horrible? lol, thanks.

Danno77 said:
LLigetfa said:
was my description THAT horrible? lol, thanks.
Same thing... fewer words. Is there an ECHO ECHO ECHO...

I work in IT and am constantly being told that my writing is too technical and that I have to use fewer words. I often paraphrase what I and others write and they often paraphrase what I write. We reinforce each other and readers get another chance to absorb what is being said.

When all else fails, I provide pictures.

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 529
Status
Not open for further replies.