Has anyone burned Boreal Pellets???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fletchtb

Jul 31, 2006
Fletcher, Vermont
My dealer carries one brand of pellets at a time. When I purchased my stove this summer, I bought 3 tons for Granules LG Premium pellets. A few weeks ago I bought 2 more tons, but this time they were Boreal Pellets.

Boreal Pellets are made in Quebec (as are Granules). The bags list a web site ( www.borealpellet.com ), but the link brings you to a "future home of..." page from the domain name registration company. The only info I could find about Boreal was on a government website where apparently the Quebec government issued a business license at the end of 2005.

The bag claims that they are premium pellets. The general color of the pellet is lighter than the Granules, but there are some pellets that are uniformly dark brown like they were cooked too long in an oven. Many pellets have black discoloration. The bags contain many more fines compared to the Granules and there are many pellets over 1.25 inches (some 2 inch pellets). These pellets came in 35 pound bags (57 to a ton), which I thought was also unusual.

When I burn the Boreal Pellets, my stove glass gets dirty (really black) pretty quickly. Within 8 hours. I don't get much of a flame when there is a steady flow of combustion air coming into the firebox. I have to close the air control almost entirely to get a flame. When there is air coming into the chamber, the pellets kind of smolder with a small flame that can not be seen above the burnpot. So with little or no air, I get a bigger flame and am able to heat the house. These pellets don't seem to burn as hot as the Granules either. Obviously, the small amount of combustion air contributes to the dirtiness.

I am wondering if anyone else is burning these pellets and if they are having a similar experience?

Could these pellets have more moisture than the Granules and that be the reason they don't generate much of a flame? They don't seem wet. I watched the guy cut the plastic off each pallet and none of the bags were broken. They were transported and moved in dry weather.

I am going to let my stove shop know about my experience, but I don't plan on returning the pellets or anything after getting the two tons into my basement. They will heat the house, and I just won't buy that brand if that is what they are selling next year. This will be my first winter burning pellets, and I am sure I will master the art of getting the most heat out of what appears to be sub standard pellets. I plan on using them in the fall and spring and save the Granules for when it gets really cold up here in northern Vermont.

Looking forward to other's comments.

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up. There are some less desirable pellets out there and it helps to know. I'd contact the company and see if they feel this is representative of their product line or a bad batch.

Sounds like a high bark content, and poor quality control on the pellet length. May not even be true premium quality. I had that same issue with Hamer's Hot Ones, which I renamed Hamer's Huge Ones. Dang things were so big that they'd bridge the feed opening on my now-departed Quad 1200. Your Enviro does not like these things at all....I assume that is a top-feeding stove.

Yeah well I threw up a thread once about PFI to buy or not to buy...... LG I believe is a member of the pellet fuels institute it says PFI member on the bag. Check the Boreal bag and see what they say. There really isn't much for regulation of pellet manufacturers except hoping that members of the PFI will follow standards setforth by them, as far as non members who knows what you're getting, like going to that gas station and saving 10 cents a gallon on super unleaded only to find that it was just your average everyday regular unleaded that you actually paid 10 cents agallon more for. From what I've seen PFI members are pretty good about standards ie: what it says on the bag is actually in the bag.. There should be regulation in pellets (and I'm not talking government) so at least there can be some accountability for those PFI members that try to screw thier customers. That's why I only burn PFI, the first year was a bad pellet year for me to.

AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :snake:

I just went to that boreals site scary............ It's like Scam central station..... Stoves 75 % off???????????????? yet NE pellets same price as I pay now... Maybe next month they wil be called aurora pellets then the next aurora boreals pellets then......... :sick:

Well at least if I buy aurora pellets I expect some pretty colors.

Fletch - Tell your dealer you got bad pellets. If nothing else maybe you can help someone else from getting burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.