Has anyone burned Red Bud?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tigeroak

Feeling the Heat
Nov 4, 2012
kansas illinois
I threw 3 splits in stove tonight and man hot as hell in here, 86. Never burned it before now will save the rest for cold weather , never will pass it up again.

Never burned Red Bud and never have seen it on it on a BTU chart, but it is slow growing and i am not surpriised at you experience. I recently cut down a crab apple for a neighbor and awaiting the results.

I have burned that, crab, and it is good wood to burn.

Am I the only one picturing a person cutting up an old runner sled to burn? Rose Bud . . . Red Bud . . . pretty close. :)

Reactions: BillLion
Am I the only one picturing a person cutting up an old runner sled to burn? Rose Bud . . . Red Bud . . . pretty close. :)

The Citizen Kane reference is better than what I thought when I 1st read it.

I thought the poster was trying to post to a stoner forum based on the title. :)

Sorry, I've never heard of red bud before!

Last edited:
I have.
It burns good and hot.
Cut one up that was destroyed in an ice storm a few yrs ago.
It was hard to split as I remember.

In terms of density, which is closely related to BTUs, it's very similar to mulberry.

How big do redbuds get further south? They tend to be rather small trees at my latitude.

Never burned red bud, but, I've heard burning green bud will keep you warm.

Dogwood is the ornamental tree I'd like to try as firewood. The density is the same as white oak, but with half the initial moisture content.

What I like about redbud besides the btus is it seasons as fast as cherry and silver maple. Unfortunately, getting a big quantity of it is elusive.

I never knew American Holly was a tree. Only seen bush form. Im in Zone 5.
I read in one of my tree books that Redbud is planted at MT Vernon. George Washington was fond of the 'tree' and transplanted them from the woods to his gardens.
The gardens at MT Vernon are on my bucket list.
My father was a person who transplanted alot of wild vegetation to his yard. I have American Chestnut trees growing next to my horsebarn. They had been relocated from the woods.

I have a red bud tree. I did trim some dead branches off once and did burn it in my stove.
It was kind of like osage orange ( hedge). Very hot fire. The trunk is not much bigger then most other tree's branches.:confused:

Around here you would probably have to cut 200 of them to get a cord of firewood. In the spring the redbuds and dogwoods are too dang pretty to cut.

Around here you would probably have to cut 200 of them to get a cord of firewood. In the spring the redbuds and dogwoods are too dang pretty to cut.

True dat. Trunks so small that mine break in half when they get to around twenty feet tall Wife explained it to me. They were developed as spreading yard trees and surrounded by tall Oaks etc. they don't have a chance.

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.