Has anyone changed the fountain in their VC Dutchwest?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
I took apart my stove and the fountain fell apart in my hand (see picture).
Now that I'm ready to install the new fountain, I have some questions.
Should I replace the gaskets in this area? They look in good condition.
If I replace them, can I use the grey gasket material? The old ones are white.
It doesn't appear to be any gasket cement was used on these areas, is ok to use gasket cement here? I don't know how they put it together without it.
Thanks!

Attachments

• stove 002.jpg
    stove 002.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 243
Holy destroyed fountain Batman!

How old is this stove?

3 years! And no the stove was not overfired.

Ok, I installed the new fountain but now the shoe will not slide back far enough to allow the grate to drop.
Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?

PM BurningIsLove I believe he took his "shoe" out for cleaning

:lol: & apparently it slides back very easily. Did you clean out the ash from behind the shoe/fountain?

Yes, all clean and the fountain sits back fully and the shoe slides in easily but it stops 1/4" short of clearing the grate. Taking out the soft insulation in the fountain groove helped a little but not enough. I will have to take everything apart to see if the shoe is sliding into the fountain groove. When I put my hand against the fountain w/the shoe installed, it feels like the shoe is against the fountain. I don't know if I need to trim the fountain or file the shoe. Either way not good!

Status
Not open for further replies.