Has anyone ever burned any good, dry, HARD . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2008
West Texas
. . . eucalyptus?

How about Bois d'Arc?

Sure would like to know their burn characteristics.

Thanks--

Can't say that I have, but I'd be sure to clear it of Koala and Kukaburras before I chopped one down! :lol:

Boi d'arc, aka bodark, hedge, hedge apple, osage, osage orange- plenty of people here burn it. Takes a long time to dry, but gives off as much heat as some forms of coal for a looong time.

I recently burned a mess in my kiln, so can't comment on woodstove value. Have made many bows from it.

I love to burn Osage on a cold night. I don't have a lot of it this year, but next year I should have at least a cord of it. I agree that it does take a little longer to season than some hardwoods. Osage will lose it's bark before it's seasoned too, so don't let that fool you.

Eucalyptus (eukie) is the primary "hardwood" sold around here for firewood, since oak, ash, maple etc. are not common around here. Eukie is advertised for about $200 to $250 / cord. Oak sells for $300 to $400 / cord (really!)

I find that DRY eukie burns nice and hot and for a long time. But it it is nearly impossible to split by ax or maul and can even strain the 20 ton splitter than I rent once a year. And, a flying piece of eukie hitting one's shin after it slips off the splitter (under pressure) hurts like a s.o.b. !!

Peace,
- Sequoia

I have noticed that Osage pops and throws sparks but sure does burn for a long time.

Tons of eucalyptus around here. Southern Pacific R.R. planted huge stands of it running north of Sacramento on up the valley. They have since sold all that land and people have carved out little ranchettes into the groves. I know quite a few people who burn it. I never have personally. Never wanted to pay for it. Too much free almond wood to be had. Not to mention 2 locust trees the neighbor gave me.

Status
Not open for further replies.