Has anyone ever seen anything like this coming off their chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecfinn

Hearth Supporter
Dec 12, 2005
Ambler, PA
I noticed today that I had a number of small light-brown to yellowish pieces of ice on my roof and on my deck. When I looked up at my chimney I saw the following. Its not a great picture, but it should give you an idea anyway...

It was during our little rain/sleet/snow event. I'm thinking it was just icicles that formed on the chimey cap and then broke off when the cap heated up. I'm thinking they are yellow from the smoke.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Eric

Attachments

• ChimneyIcicles1.jpg
    ChimneyIcicles1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 544
Yep that is what it is. I have them too with our ice storm we just had and had them two weeks ago also. The yellow is just crap the melting ice picks up before it goes over the edge and becomes an icicle.

Yup - nothing to worry about there,Eric - no matter how clean a stove burns... it's still burning... there's smoke - it will condense and depending on a lot of different weather - dirty ice may form and break off

Chimney looks like it could use some parging bro.

Have a big one of those here. I call it my lifetime project list :)

Status
Not open for further replies.