Has anyone ever seen this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watrskir

Jan 24, 2009
Southern N.H.
This is the end of my 4th season with my quad and am ready to put it away. This year when I gave it a vac and really scrubbed the heat exchangers I found this black sticky mess underneath the ash that was covering the tubes. The left hand side of the box has it also. I never have seen this before. I have burned all kinds of pellets (good and bad) and the oly thing I have done differently is burned 1/4 ton of old dominions at the end of this season. Could that be creasote??? If so why would it be there on the tubes and why from just this one pellet. I do have some creosote on my lint eater when I run it down the pipe a few time a season. Anyone else ever see this???

Attachments

• pics 616.jpg
    pics 616.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 165
All the time, as scott sez run it hot and dry out. Product of moisture:cool:

I had some in my stove this year too from all the low burning. By accident I discovered that if the room the stove's in isn't air conditioned, and it's 90 degrees for a couple days, the creosote starts melting like butter. I was able to easily get it off with a putty knife.

Thanks everyone.....just never saw it till this year. Wish I would have posted this last week when it was cold because the stove has been off for a over a month now (I know.....slow to clean this year ;) _ Looks like Im burning some Oakies tonite!! :)

Reactions: Defiant
We service alot of quad's (used to be harman and quad dealers) and down here everyone burns on high....BUt i have seen that happen on stoves with failing exaust motors....If you know your exuast motor to be good then yeah throw it on high and burn away :)

Status
Not open for further replies.