Has anyone ever thought of...................

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Funnydirt14

Jan 31, 2015
Central Pennsylvania
Has anyone ever thought of wiring your CO detector to the UPS hooked to your stove so that if CO is detected the UPS will kick in and stove will start shut down. This would be for the newer Harman stoves with the updated circuit board. I'm not that knowledgeable on electric and how it might work, but I would guess someone else has thought about this and come up with something.

Popcorn.gif

I guess I dont see the real benefit. If the CO detector goes off, we're exiting the house ASAP and calling the fire department. I really dont care at that point about shutting the stove down. Safety takes priority.

Maybe a little to many to trust controlling my stove. Plus there are other machines in the house that can leak co as long as there not all electric appliances

I guess I dont see the real benefit. If the CO detector goes off, we're exiting the house ASAP and calling the fire department. I really dont care at that point about shutting the stove down. Safety takes priority.
Well if nobody is at home and you have pets.............. Just saying. I don't know.

Simply shutting the stove off wont save you. You must get to fresh air ASAP.

Has anyone ever thought of wiring your CO detector to the UPS hooked to your stove so that if CO is detected the UPS will kick in and stove will start shut down. This would be for the newer Harman stoves with the updated circuit board. I'm not that knowledgeable on electric and how it might work, but I would guess someone else has thought about this and come up with something.
It may be possible to connect a Nest CO/smoke detector to the Nest thermostat, connected to your stove, so that an alert turns off the thermostat, but since I have neither, I can't say for sure, but you would think that would be their goal to have one device talk to another.

Having said that, if you're home and the CO detector goes off, it's loud, so you have to get up and go turn off that pellet stove and evacuate. And if you're not home, you don't hear it until you get home. I suppose it might be nice not to have the house fill up with CO, automatically.

I have a propane boiler, propane water heater and a couple of tons of pellets sitting in the same room as the stove. Any one of those could cause a CO issue in the basement. Upstairs I have a gas cook stove, that could also cause it (unlikely, but it could). In short, no I haven't thought about it.

I have a propane boiler, propane water heater and a couple of tons of pellets sitting in the same room as the stove. Any one of those could cause a CO issue in the basement. Upstairs I have a gas cook stove, that could also cause it (unlikely, but it could). In short, no I haven't thought about it.
I have none of those things. Only the pellet stove. Just wondering if it was ever done.

I have none of those things. Only the pellet stove. Just wondering if it was ever done.

Based on the responses you've received so far, Id say no, it has never been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.