Has anyone fabbed a refractory chamber?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VTSR5

Sep 2, 2008
Northern Vermont
I suspect that my VC WinterWarm (small) refractory package is made of a material called Gemcolite. I had mine out recently, and it is okay for now, but needs repairs. With one or two square feet of this material, plus some adhesive, I could keep this thing going for years. Question is, where to buy the stuff in small quantities (plus adhesive). The internet just shrugged its shoulders when I asked.

Has anybody on the forum had any success building or rebuilding one of these VC packages?

Go to McMaster-Carr website and search on "refractory"... they sell all kinds of high-temperature insulation materials, in retail quantities. Don't know if you'll find Gemcolite by name, but I bet you'll find something "close enough".

Eddy

I replaced one of my refractory pieces following Tradergordo's detailed instructions. Worked like a charm...good as new...actually, I think it may be better.

Really and truly.....I have the information in my office. I will repost on this thread tomorrow evening, but I know which company makes the refractory package for them, I just need to find the "trade name" for the refractory they use.

BeGreen said:
TraderGordo posted a nice article on his experiments.

Thanks. I did find this by searching (hey, I tried!) before I posted. His excellent article concerns casting refractory material. I'm glad I read it, I'm sure I'll use it someday, though the VC refractory package would be tough to reproduce by casting.

The VC refractory package is made of a delicate, kind of foamy, low density refractory board glued together into a multi-chamber little "house" for the catalytic combustor -- a "cat house" if you will. So it would be a kind of complicated three-dimensional casting.

On the otherhand, since the component pieces of the VC package are all rectangular, with the right refractory material and adhesive in hand, it would be a pretty easy "craft project" to cut out and glue up. I'd guess maybe it's a one or two hour job at the most, if the materials aren't a complete nightmare to work with.

Since the new package is about $230 retail, I'd love to take a shot at rebuilding or fabricating one.

I looked at the materials McMaster-Carr carries. Some of them sound like they would work fine. I wish they had real pics, though.

Brian VT said:
I looked at the materials McMaster-Carr carries. Some of them sound like they would work fine. I wish they had real pics, though.

Agreed, it's a good lead from EddyKilowatt. Also, I look forward to Corie's post and the fruits of his research.

Status
Not open for further replies.