Has anyone installed a damper in a flex liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodmiser

Feeling the Heat
Oct 20, 2011
Garnet Valley, PA
I think it's doable. I'm thinking of installing a cast iron key damper plate inside my Clydesdale's liner just above the exit. Fabricate some type of lever mechanism so I can operate it from the front.
I think it will be easier to just drill the holes right in the liner instead of trying to find and install a damper unit that fits the stove outlet and accepts the liner.

I wouldn't do it. A flexible liner is thin stuff not designed to have holes drilled in it for a damper.

Also, unless you have an overdraft condition due to a very windy location or an extra tall chimney, you really shouldn't need a damper as they won't increase the effeciency of a modern stove. If used when not necesssary, they will actually decrease efficiency.

What is your concern leading you to believe you need one?

pen

Often I can't get the fire down to prevent runaway. Everything has been checked as far as leaks are concerned. My draft is high. My wood is dry. I need more control. EPA doesn't allow manufacturers to let you shut it down if required.

Is this on a reload or bringing it up from a cold stove?

Either one. If I load it up tight from a cold start or after a reload. Obviously a reload situation is worse. I can usually keep it in check but not without keeping a good watch. When it does run I have to open the door and or throw in a green ugly.

I'm not familiar with the Clydesdale, but is there any way to partially restrict the air intact?

I hear you but I don't think it will be a problem in the liner. But before, if I even do it, I have a left over piece of the liner I'll do an experiment on.

While the corrugations are tough, the material inbetween isn't when it comes to tearing. I'd be worried about making a point where the liner can rip.

pen

I already have the liner appliance connector screwed onto the end of the liner. If I used a damper assembly like you mention BB, will the adapter fit into the top of the damper assy like it goes into the stove? That way all I have to do is take out the three screws holding the adapter/liner to the stove, pull the liner up, install the damper assy and drop the liner back into the damper assy.

Status
Not open for further replies.