Has anyone made a DYI wooden boat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2008
I am interested with making a small wooden Jon boat or sort with my son to go fishing at local lakes and ponds. Anyone got any info?
Websites? forums? plans? anything?

check out SpiraInternational.com

this guy was on you tube "how to build a boat" and this is his web site. he says there is a downloadable ebook for all kinds of boats

hope this helps

mike

I have built cheap plywood boats from a 19-1/2' stretched gull dory designed by phil Bolger, to a 6' mini mouse designed by Gavin Atkin. Both of these men have sites devoted to thier designs on Yahoogroups.
The best sites I would go to is Glen-L.com, or Duckworks.com, both are great sites with plenty of plans and info for building a boat.
Good Luck and post pictures!
For an offbeat magazine dedicated to small usualy DIY boats, check out "Messing About In Boats".

Look up strip canoe or strip boat. You make them by ripping wood into thin rips and then building the boat over a rough form. When done, you fiberglass over the entire thing. Comes out pretty darn nice if you have the ability.

Thanks for the info I will be doing research into designs and plans and hopfully be building in March and boating in April/May
Really looking forward to working with my youngest son on this. 10 is the best age for a father and son. Wish I could have done more with my oldest now 21.

the time building is good, the time on the water is great, my oldest is six, she is old enough to paint and mabey hammer nails. MY son who is four and the wife like to go out on the water even though my main boat at this time is a 17' coleman canoe modified with gate hinges for outriggers so I can row while they do whatever they like. I try to stop where they can swim and play in the water, my wife will paddle when she wants excercise. I don't like fishing (boring to me) but may teach the kids while they are still free.

You might want to contact these folks. Wooden boats are all they do. There are some good, classic designs here:
http://www.cwb.org/

http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=NC16 Nice 16' Bateau or French Canoe.

I was getting ready to build with my 15YO but we've been busy cutting/splitting/stacking, and may just buy a good used canoe instead.

Be SURE the boat will make it out of the build area. Both my Dad, and my Wife's Dad failed to take the combination of length, and stair hight/angle into account and had significant trouble getting the boat out of the building. (One made the local paper).
ATB,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.