Has anyone rented a van at HD to pickup their pellet pallets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
wondering if a pallet will fit into one of those vans they rent; guess the pickup is small and may only fit one pallet but not more.....any experiences ?

Hmmmm, did our friends tell you they have your pellets if you want to pick them up????

If you need to rent a truck, you might want to look into renting a Ryder truck... they have more room and payload capacity.

wet1, she mentioned if I wanted to pick them up, if so she would 'hook me up', that's what she said, however I don't have pickup truck and renting will put the final price for me higher than my original expense.....it will give me peace of mind though......

how much are those uhaul/ryder trucks? I need to get 3 tons.

Go to Ryder and get the info from them as I don't know the details off hand. I can tell you most of Uhauls stuff isn't rated as high.

What are they willing to knock off the price for you picking them up? I can only do 3 tons per run with my truck and trailer so I know I'd have to make two trips. $10 off per ton would still cost me more in fuel than to have them deliver the pellets.

I have a 3/4 ton cargo van and it holds one ton on a pallet with no problem, but some times the pallet may be to high so I just take the top two rows of bags off to make it fit.

Wet1 said:
Go to Ryder and get the info from them as I don't know the details off hand. I can tell you most of Uhauls stuff isn't rated as high.

What are they willing to knock off the price for you picking them up? I can only do 3 tons per run with my truck and trailer so I know I'd have to make two trips. $10 off per ton would still cost me more in fuel than to have them deliver the pellets.

asked that question....well I asked if they'd pay the cost for pickups, their reply "no, I'm not paying for that....."

I have hauled 28 bags in my Dodge Neon , I would not do it again. 20 bags is ok. I have used my friends 1/4 F 150 , and it hauls 1 ton ok. Would not do 2 tons.

geek said:
Wet1 said:

asked that question....well I asked if they'd pay the cost for pickups, their reply "no, I'm not paying for that....."
They weren't willing to refund a certain amount for each ton if you pick them up rather than having them deliver the pellets?

Also try enterprise for a truck or a cargo van. It's one price for unlimited miles. Uhaul and ryder charge per mile. Plus their their trucks might take diseal fuel. My pellet were delivered in a cargo van. The store took the top to rows off to fit the pallet in the back of the van. Another option is to also look at budget trucks

Wet1 said:
geek said:
Wet1 said:

They weren't willing to refund a certain amount for each ton if you pick them up rather than having them deliver the pellets?

that's right....I didn't even want to argue....you know trying to be a calm....I guess they got me, either :

1. I wait for my pellets whenever they want to deliver them
2. I get my money back and start looking around elsewhere at a higher $$ (cheapest might be home depot at $250+delivery)
3. I rent a truck and pick them up myself, spending extra $$ in renting/gasoline, plus unloading at home right away at home bag per bag....

I know they have been saying all along that we have the option to pick the pellets up at their facility if we want to, but I suspect these guys have no pellets to deliver. Didn't I read in the other thread that someone drove by their warehouse and saw basically no pellets? I'd be concerned about getting all the way there with a rental truck and finding no pellets to be had... that they are just telling people they have inventory on hand to keep people calm. I really don't know where the problem lays with these guys or if they have any inventory at all. Maybe they just can't get enough pellets from NEWP (which won't be an easier with the fire yesterday), they don't have enough drivers/trucks to deliver the goods, or if they are just way over allocated. I don't know, but it sure would be nice to get some honest answers as their current management and actions are doing nothing to building customer satisfaction or trust!

I still find it strange that we've now only heard of one person receiving anything from these guys...

Wet1 said:
I don't know, but it sure would be nice to get some honest answers as their current management and actions are doing nothing to building customer satisfaction or trust!

ditto wet1, to me customer satisfaction and loyalty is key in today's business, specially keeping ONE position on schedules......

I know this friend who purchased at BT Enterprise over in Bristol back in June and they've got their pellets a few weeks ago....

Status
Not open for further replies.