Has anyone tried burning wood pellets in a gasser?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
I can't remember if I have asked this question before or not. ;lol I know we have talked in the boiler room about other fuel options for gassers, like the bricks, wood chips, etc.

But I recently bought a wood pellet stove for my camp to keep the electricity from turning on. It is working great and I really like it.

So I have considered placing some wood pellets in my gasser for an extra charge of BTUs when things get really cold. I was thinking of filling a half gallon cardboard milk container with pellets and placing them on top of a good supply of medium size splits. This would help to contain the pellets until they get down to the coal bed.

What do you think?

I burn sawdust and wood shavings from the wood shop all the time.
I do just like you said,I have a good coal bed and a few real wood splits then put the sawdust in on top in a cardboard box or paper sack.
It works good and burns great.
Now I just need to come up with a way to easily package all of the sawdust I make into a burnable,inexpensive package that will fit in the boiler door. I run out of cardboard boxes and paper sacks fast.

I have been burning my own brand of pellets for a couple of years. I make them with the sawdust from my shop. They burn very hot. Best to get a nice bed of coals and mix with some splits. Burning them alone in a gasser, they do not last long but they will keep your fire cranking.

Attachments

• 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Burning Briquets.JPG
    Burning Briquets.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 136
I have been burning my own brand of pellets for a couple of years. I make them with the sawdust from my shop. They burn very hot. Best to get a nice bed of coals and mix with some splits. Burning them alone in a gasser, they do not last long but they will keep your fire cranking.
very cool how do u make them could u use left over from processing fire wood bark, small twigs and such ? maybe put threw a grinder first thanks very good

I purchased one of these to get rid of my sawdust. Paid New England Wood Pellet to bring trailers in to take the dust. Too much of a hassle. I think if you were grinding you could use bark and twigs.

Attachments

• Briquette Press.jpg
    Briquette Press.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 188
I purchased one of these to get rid of my sawdust. Paid New England Wood Pellet to bring trailers in to take the dust. Too much of a hassle. I think if you were grinding you could use bark and twigs.
do u sell them maybe I could pick them up seems like easy than fire wood I haul1 trailer 12x7 x5 of trash from splitting every 2 weeks if I split 20 cord ill have 1.5 -2 k of trash that's a lot to throw away

Interesting stuff guys. I think I have seen a past post of your briquettes. What do you make in your shop? Cabinets? Furniture? Finished wood? That is great that you can use that sawdust up to supply heat for you and yours.

do u sell them maybe I could pick them up seems like easy than fire wood I haul1 trailer 12x7 x5 of trash from splitting every 2 weeks if I split 20 cord ill have 1.5 -2 k of trash that's a lot to throw away

I did think of selling them but it turns out I need all I make. 60 - 55gal drums for the heating season.

Interesting stuff guys. I think I have seen a past post of your briquettes. What do you make in your shop? Cabinets? Furniture? Finished wood? That is great that you can use that sawdust up to supply heat for you and yours.

We make all custom cabinetry and millwork. Check out my website in the signature line.

I played with some numbers to compare burning pellets versus firewood. Of course, there are many variables, but I was looking for a ballpark number. Please check my numbers and reasoning.
BTUs in a pellets: 8,400 per pound
BTUs in one face cord of firewood: 7.5 million
7.5 million / 8,400 = 892 pounds of pellets
892 / 40 pounds per bag = 22 bags of pellets
22 x $4.59 = $100.98 This does not include taxes, hauling, etc. Nothing is free, not even firewood!
Checking Craigslist, I see firewood is ranging from $50 - $65 per face.
Using this as an average, (and using highest firewood cost), pellets are 35% more expensive for the same heat output.
Again, this is "ballpark".
The cost differential convinces me to stay with my gasser and firewood.
Before I purchased the Eko, I looked at a used pellet-fired boiler. The amount of pellets that unit consumed each day was frightening, even back then when pellets were $2.00.bag!
Regards,
JT

Reactions: BoilerMan
I played with some numbers to compare burning pellets versus firewood. Of course, there are many variables, but I was looking for a ballpark number. Please check my numbers and reasoning.
BTUs in a pellets: 8,400 per pound
BTUs in one face cord of firewood: 7.5 million
7.5 million / 8,400 = 892 pounds of pellets
892 / 40 pounds per bag = 22 bags of pellets
22 x $4.59 = $100.98 This does not include taxes, hauling, etc. Nothing is free, not even firewood!
Checking Craigslist, I see firewood is ranging from $50 - $65 per face.
Using this as an average, (and using highest firewood cost), pellets are 35% more expensive for the same heat output.
Again, this is "ballpark".
The cost differential convinces me to stay with my gasser and firewood.
Before I purchased the Eko, I looked at a used pellet-fired boiler. The amount of pellets that unit consumed each day was frightening, even back then when pellets were $2.00.bag!
Regards,
JT

8400 BTUs per pound for pellets. How many BTUs per pound of firewood? Like White Ash that I burn?

I am not even considering switching to burning pellets. They are handy, but I have wood right on my land around my house. Just have to cut it. I was just thinking that pellets may be a good charge of BTUs when things get real cold. As far as the space they would take up in the burn chamber.

So on a per pound basis. Or space they would take up. How would the BTUs compare?

8400 BTUs per pound for pellets. How many BTUs per pound of firewood? Like White Ash that I burn?

I am not even considering switching to burning pellets. They are handy, but I have wood right on my land around my house. Just have to cut it. I was just thinking that pellets may be a good charge of BTUs when things get real cold. As far as the space they would take up in the burn chamber.

So on a per pound basis. Or space they would take up. How would the BTUs compare?

I checked a few sites on the web; the BTU content for firewood (per pound) is the same as pellets. Makes sense since they are both wood products.
There are too many variables to come up with a one-size-fits-all. If you have your own land (like I do), it only makes sense to harvest and use what you have. If an individual has a lot of waste product (as above) and they have the means to make pellets, then that would be more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.