1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Has anyone tried the new firewood blocks ('Envi 8) ?? Do they work well??

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by wood-fan-atic, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doglady

doglady Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    I finally bought 2 pallets of the large Envi blocks. I have found that the Hearthwise burn approx an hour longer but considering the price, I guess from now on I'll buy the Envi. They give really good heat and overall, I am pleased with them. The Hearthwise cost me almost $1200, with delivery, for 2.5 pallets; the Envi cost me $613 for 2 pallets, with delivery. So it's a major price difference.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. toonjie

toonjie Member

Loc:
    New Fairfield, CT
    I found the Envi-blocks to be better than the Envi-8's. They last longer and seemed to start easier. I have a big stove though, (Quad 5100i), and the less blocks I have to stack, the better. Scored 2 free cords of wood and another cord of cedar kindling this season so I haven't been burning them lately, but I have a few packs sitting in the wood box for when the wifey needs to make an easy fire.
  3. Cape45

Cape45 New Member

Loc:
    Cape of Cod
    I'm seriously considering removing my pellet stove and going back to wood. I think I'm going to pick up the first small insert that I come across and fire it up with envi blocks, even if I have to do it in the driveway. If it works out the pellet stove is history. .
  4. Battenkiller

Battenkiller Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside the Blue Line
    I have a local coal company that has started to carry them. They have three brands is different sizes (2, 4 and 6 pounds). They sell them for $249/ton (1 pallet), but you can buy individual sleeves at the same price break. I picked up a few sleeves of each flavor and ended up with 320 pounds of bricks for 40 bucks. That's 25 cents for a two-pound brick. Six of them got my stove up to 650º for about two hours. Not bad since all I have to do is drive five minutes out of town to pick up a car load.

I can't see them ever replacing cord wood, but they will certainly be a welcome addition to the arsenal. Best thing is they seem tailor made for shoulder season. With a little bit of experimentation, you should be able to dial in the correct amount to use for just about any outside temp and get a clean, steady, predictable burn out of them every time. Three of the two-pound bricks should take the chill out of any room in the fall or spring, and would only cost 75 cents... the cost of just one of those fancy SuperCedar firestarters. Drip a little wax on them and they'll probably ignite with just a match. They would then do double duty as both firestarter and heat source.

Sometimes you are up for the challenge of heating with cord wood, sometimes you just need to get warm. These are just what the good doctor ordered for those times.
  5. fdegree

fdegree Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southern Delaware
    Does anyone know how this type of product effects the cat in a cat stove?
  6. fmer55

fmer55 New Member

Loc:
    bay shore, ny
    also on long island, was wondering who ou get the blocks from and what you are paying
  7. fmer55

fmer55 New Member

Loc:
    bay shore, ny
    read past posts and now have my answer.....see that, i am too lazy to look at past posts, much less scrounge and splitHAHAHA
  8. Ducati996

Ducati996 Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY

I find they last longer than firewood - oak, ash, etc.......I only need 3 or 4 Bricks to burn all night with plenty in the morning....stove is shut down all the way....I use a regency 3100 and 3 or 4 bricks hardly fill up the stove, compared to using wood, which i would need to pack completly to get the same results.......so yes one ton of them blocks will be more than 1 cord of wood, easily.....I only see their advertising show they are more than a full cord....never 2 cords.....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.