Has Anyone Tried These Catalytic Stove Dampers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonprophet

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2009
Oregon
Was looking around the web and came across these catalytic stove dampers--seems like an easy and relatively low-cost way to convert a non-EPA stove (i.e. "smoke dragon") into a lean, mean, clean-burning machine........has anyone tried one? Any idea on how long they last?

NP

My GUESS is they wouldn't work all that well because of the distance away from the stove. A cat needs to get hot to work and if it's placed too far away, it wont work as it's intended.

I would shoot out a guess that the screen in there would plug quickly ,so maintenace would be considerable.
Next...is the pipe a heat exchanger and if so what type of clearences would there be???
If a 10 firebox wall getting over 950 can fatigue,how long would this last at over 200$ a pop?????

Status
Not open for further replies.