Has anyone tried these?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyd

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
Hughesville Md
BIO MASS STOVE PELLETS - $190 (STREET MD )
01212_6RtRWpn5dBx_600x450.jpg

LOCAL MADE PELLETS FOR YOUR PELLET STOVE . THESE PELLETS ARE MADE FROM A MIXTURE OF CORN AND CORN STALKS . THEY HAVE GOOD HEAT AND ARE A LITTLE HIGHER IN ASH THAN WOOD PELLETS CAN BE BAGGED IN 40 OR 50 LB BAGS AVG BTU OF 7350- 7900 PER LB .RANDOM TEMPETURE OF FIRE IN STOVE THESE PELLETS BURN 50 TO 150 DEGREES HOTTER THAN HARDWOOD PELLETS BAG PRICE IS $4.00 FOR 40LBS AND $5.00 FOR 50LBS
$190 PER TON DELIVERY CAN BE ARRANGED IF NEEDED . THANK YOU AND HAVE A GREAT DAY

7350-7900 btu seems a bit low ............... wood pellets around here run 8000 - 8700 usually, for the ones in the $200-$209 price range .... agree with Mike they are most likely extra ashy, moisture may be a little high, BUT, yeah, I'd try 'em .........

Corn would be high ash and the stover would have a lower ignition temp. Suspect that it is corn screenings with field stover. If cheap I would burn but corn is around $145/ ton. Was this a feed that didn't make the testing for whatever reason?

Hey the description of the pellets is pretty cool, but I don't think I would try them. I would assume the proper multi-fuel venting would be necessary and that already puts my set up out of the picture... Plus the btus do seem kind of low and I would rather pay 239 for barefoots or 229 for Pell Heat (caveman) and know I'm getting a quality pellet with good heat and LOW ash.

THEY HAVE GOOD HEAT AND ARE A LITTLE HIGHER IN ASH THAN WOOD PELLETS CAN BE BAGGED IN 40 OR 50 LB BAGS AVG BTU OF 7350- 7900 PER LB .RANDOM TEMPETURE OF FIRE IN STOVE THESE PELLETS BURN 50 TO 150 DEGREES HOTTER THAN HARDWOOD

I'm not sure how they can lower btu and be 50-150 degrees hotter. For that reason, I'm out.

I'm 90% sure corn is harder on chimneys...would that translate to harder on the stove as well? Also as I understand it corn has just a bit more BTU's then wood...maybe its one of those BTU rating game that's played...( as received is lower as a rule)

The acid when corn burns is usually only a problem if condensate is allowed to get to the metal surface like the last foot of the venting. I still service a Countryside that burns 100% corn for 6 plus months a year and the only issue is the last foot of venting. Our Bixby is great with corn. Know of several others as well. Keep the stove clean and dry in off season and should be no problem.

Not far from me. May try some this weekend
I hope they work out great...more pellet makers= more competition = lower prices= more money for BEER !!!

Maybe use them to make some shine. There's some reason they are not feeding them to a cow!

I'm not sure how they can lower btu and be 50-150 degrees hotter. For that reason, I'm out.

Temperature and energy are two different concepts. Temperature is a relative measure of molecular speed and energy is a measure of work that is done. Temperature in degrees has little to do with the energy of a reaction (ie, burning pellets in oxygen yielding products that are different than the reactants) and can be measured in Calories, Btus, or many other units.

Sounds like some thermodynamics at play. I remember heat = mass*Capicity*dTemp, so heat is proportional to temperature. To figure out the heat output, I guess you would need to know the enthalpy of reaction for the wood in question. Is the btu the heat released from the product minus the heat of the reactants of the gases and wood or is it something different? I don't recall as I haven't dealt with this in a very long time. However, I think in general that the lower the temp, the lower the heat output although there maybe exceptions.

Sounds like some thermodynamics at play. I remember heat = mass*Capicity*dTemp, so heat is proportional to temperature. To figure out the heat output, I guess you would need to know the enthalpy of reaction for the wood in question. Is the btu the heat released from the product minus the heat of the reactants of the gases and wood or is it something different? I don't recall as I haven't dealt with this in a very long time. However, I think in general that the lower the temp, the lower the heat output although there maybe exceptions.

My thoughts are that you are recalling the method by which one would determine a quantity in the relationship Q (heat energy) = ms(delta T). So heat in this relationship would be proportional to the delta T and not just T. The heat released in the combustion reaction is found by a different method, but similar using a different lab instrument, a calorimeter or bomb calorimeter.

I don't think e=mc2 has anything to do with it.

If we take dQ=mCdT, then an integral would be the heat or enthalpy of the wood on the LHS and the RHS would be some function of temperature as it relates to heat capacity of the calorimeter. I have done calorimeter measurements in my youth, and it appears that most wood is within 7500-8200 btu as received.

I fed both the horse and my stove corn this morning:)

Maybe got silk in his ears:)

Status
Not open for further replies.