Has sifting pellets reduced 25-PDVC auger jams?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msh227

Nov 20, 2010
Eastern PA
I'm thinking about building a vacuum contraption that some have done on this forum to sift the fines from my pellets because each year I get multiple auger jams on my 25-PDVC. To the point that I leave the back panel off the unit to un-jam the stove. Has anyone had similar experience where sifting their pellets has helped reduce jams?

I'm thinking about building a vacuum contraption that some have done on this forum to sift the fines from my pellets because each year I get multiple auger jams on my 25-PDVC. To the point that I leave the back panel off the unit to un-jam the stove. Has anyone had similar experience where sifting their pellets has helped reduce jams?
I sift only the bottom third of a bag or less. I collect those bottoms, and weekly sieve them through a 3/16 opening plastic mesh bag (made for oyster aquaculture). I have no jams since I began this processing two years ago. I also vacuum out the upper auger and hopper whenever it is empty. Some pellet brands and batches are worse then others.

hey MSH,

have you checked the drop chute between your augers? if you keep getting top auger jams its possible you may have a long pellet or two stuck in the chute.

to access the chute you would need to remove the LOWER auger as the feed system follows a Z shaped path, to access the chute , pull the lower auger then look in and up from the rear of the unit the chute should not have any kind of obstruction in it, anything you find there needs to be dislodged.

its feasible that a longer pellet could be stuck in there and has been the root cause for this recurring problem.

as for the sifter you are thinking about , im working on a bin type dispenser which i expect to hold 4 to 5 bags of fuel with a dispenser and a vac type system to remove fines from the pellets as they feed through to the dispenser. its just "virtual" ink on paper right now but i have the concept worked out pretty well. my idea would employ a large hopper with screening placed at certain spots that will have a negative pressure induction blower siphoning air and fines off and blowing them into a separate collecting bin now i intend to make it with an auger which will feed a second smaller bin holding either 10 or 20 lbs with a pressure switch to kill the auger this would allow a smaller gate to be opened and the cleaned pellets to slide out into a bucket (like a coal scuttle) to be taken to the stove to feed it.

i think this would be a nice accessory for those who have maybe elderly parents who cannot handle the bags so "the son" has to go by every day to load the stove, now, if i have a 4 or 5 bag bin of sifted fuel and a dispenser which dumps to a smaller lighter bucket that "mom" can handle it would allow more flexibility to the "son" and "mom" gains back some independence.

if i cannot "sell" this concept to my bosses, and they dont want to build it i'll draw up plans anyway and just give it to anyone who wants to build their own

That sounds like a very interesting concept!

It seems like all my jams have been upper auger jams. When it jams the lower auger is freely rotating and when I go to "wiggle" (for lack of a better term) the bottom auger and motor are free but top is always jammed.

Sometimes I can break free the jam by grabbing the motor and moving it. I'm sure that is not the best idea but it works even if it means I'll have to buy a new motor sooner than later.

Have you inspected the top auger for casting or weld burrs ? File them smooth if they are rough.

Have you inspected the top auger for casting or weld burrs ? File them smooth if they are rough.

X2, my neighbors 25-PDVC has not had any jams since we "pimped his augers".
See pics
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-burs-pimp-my-auger-pics.102423/#post-1359835

Also check for auger chute drops of slag.
See pics
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...laws-surgery-needed-here.108726/#post-1428748

Also check for my new term called "Auger Pox"
See pics
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...me-and-blue-goo-see-pics.106715/#post-1538384

Very interesting reads thanks for sharing the links. I will def pull my augers and inspect them again/clean with my dremel attachments. One question for you, when I go to grease the motors can I use any old tube of grease or does it have to be specific for a pellet stove application?

Very interesting reads thanks for sharing the links. I will def pull my augers and inspect them again/clean with my dremel attachments. One question for you, when I go to grease the motors can I use any old tube of grease or does it have to be specific for a pellet stove application?

Grease should only be applied to the zirc fitting in the auger bearing. It should be the high temperature red grease. If the zirc fitting has failed and you do not see the grease oozing out of the round bearing then put some on your finger and rub it in there and move the bearing around. The auger motor shafts can be lubricated with a couple drops of light 3-1 type oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.