Has the Harman Accentra stove been modified in the past 2 years?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKS130

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Our new Harman Accentra stove was delivered yesterday, but is not yet installed. In looking it over I noted that it was manufactured 2 years ago, which is obvious because the Quality Control inspection certification is dated November 2009.

My first concern is that a 2 year old piece of equipment, which has been in storage all this time, may have corrosion issues in the controls, electronics or otherwise. Second is the question of whether there have been changes in the design or controls in the intervening years. I have seen discussions of the ignitor and the burn pot being modified, but I am, not clear on when that might have taken place.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

No problem. In the panic of 08, Harmon was selling thousands of stoves dated 06, no harm I can remember.

Assembly date isn't what starts the warranty. Its starts date of actual sale. Most manufacturer's had a back log of stoves to move.

Thanks. I was just concerned if there had been modifications in the interim, but it looks like we are good to go.

Only concern would be the feed tube and having some extra holes down low in the burnpot. I don't have all the details. Maybe a Harman owner that had the tube issue could assist?? Not saying yours will have the extra holes, I don't know exactly which models did or didn't have them. Or the years for that matter. But, If yours has the holes down toward the feed tube? I'd contact the dealer as there is a replacement available. Just thought I would put this out there and not meent to scare ya!

Can a Harman owner/dealer/tech give the details please.

the lower holes shouldn't be on that at all, that was back a few years before. the crossover tube should be on that unit if built in 09. I might be able to refernce it by serial #. I wouldn't be too concerned. Its very likely up to spec at this point.

Hat tip to j-takeman and Delta-T. The serial number on the box (its not uncrated yet and I am scheduled for install a week from Monday) is 008403770. If Delta-T can run anything down I would be grateful.

By the way, Welcome to the forums RKS130! Glad you joined us here. :)

While your waiting for the install, One way to past the time is to locate what pellets you can get in your area. Pick up a few bags of each for a trial once the stove is burning and see which brands you like. Should take your mind of the waiting game a little.

Enjoy the new toy and don't forget to post some picture for us.

Posting pictures on line may be way way beyond my pay grade, but I will give it a go. The stove came with a Harman promotion of one free ton. The dealer sent pellets from Great American (I originally posted it as "All American" but when I checked, it was Great American all along) and my local Home Depot has Stove Chow, so I picked up a couple of bags of that as well. I will look around and see what else is available locally. Any feedback on the two I mentioned?

P.S.: Thanks to j-takeman for the welcome and, yes, it is a great new toy which I look forward to playing with. The only problem is all the work getting ready for the install. I had to remove the old radiator (no big deal) but also have a load of plastering/painting to do. Don't mind the plastering or the painting much but knocking down the old loose stuff is just something I have never learned to enjoy. I will not even get into the old sheetrock ceiling my wife made me take down to restore the original plaster!

I am about 90% sure it is All American, but will check in the morning. Raining too hard for a trip to the shed right now.

It's always that last 10% that gets you in life. The rain let up so I checked the shed. It is Great American . . . must be getting old.

For refererence, we just had an Accentra Insert installed this fall and it literally was made just a few weeks prior to the install as noted on the label. We purchased through a local Harman dealer.

RKS 130 Welcome, very nice choice in stoves my wife & I really enjoy ours. The Great Americans are top shelf pellets Hot burning, no clinkers no issues, I have 1/2 ton in my stash with more to come. Check out the links that Jay posted and read his reviews good stuff. I think that you will find that your Harman will burn any pellet you put in the hopper they are not real picky, so try as many different brands you can get your hands on. Keep her clean and have fun.

Thanks to JBWheel and Will711 for the input. The more information I get, as I start down this road, the better

Many thanks to all who have provided information. Right now I am ready for something cold and frosty, having spent the day plastering and otherwise reparing/preparing the site for my install a week from tomorrow. We chose a foyer at the bottom of the stairs which is adjacent to the main room on the first floor. With the addition of a ceiling fan in the hallway above we are hoping to get good heat flow. We shall see. Lots of work to do yet, but, hopefully I will make it (got to work too).

Since photos seem to be of interest around here I will take some tomorrow. Although not reflective of the start of the job, you will get the idea.

Once again, thanks.

Well, today is the day. Techs are due for the install in about 3 1/2 hours. Just managed to get the space prepared late last night after over 2 weeks of plaster dust and paint. I will try to post pics later.

Wish me luck for no screw ups.

Well . . . I was right to worry about screw ups. The installers are first class, but they just install what has previously been delivered. On the other hand, I suppose I was too trusting and ignorant - not necessarily in that order.

After the stove was in place and the vent pipes installed through the brick wall of my house, I innocently asked how there could be outside air intake and venting through the same pipe. At the time of sale I had insisted (for a variety of reasons) that I wanted OAK and was told that the Harmon stoves had a simple solution for intake/venting with a single hole in the exterior wall.

The installer hit his forehead and said that he had no idea that OAK was supposed to be installed, as he just shows up and installs whatever the dealer had previously delivered. I called the dealer (expecting to have a major fight on my hands) and was pleasantly surprised to be told that an error had been made and they would fix it right away. The correct piping was delivered within 30 minutes and they are redoing the install right now, albeit with more cutting of brick and wall.

Almost done.

My dealer is Home & Hearth on Main Street In Cortlandt Manor, New York. They have been first rate throughout and sent a ton of Great American Pellets with the delivery, in satisfaction of Harman's free ton offer on the Accentra. The installers are now cleaning up and I expect ignition very soon.

More to follow!

Good luck RKS, I am on my 4th year with my Harman Accentra and I love it, no issues, and the original igniter to boot! (Sound of me knocking on wood!!)

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new accrentra. I picked up a used accrentra a few months ago and I'm still learning how it works and to fine tune the settings I like. I burned a Quad CB 1200 for 5 years and between the 2 I love the Harman. Also the OAK is always a wise decision.

Thanks to Bank for the encouraging words. My only regret, at the moment, is that we have to wait till tomorrow for ignition. No one told me the sealant has to dry for 24 hours before you light the stove. Well, we have waited this long . . .

P.S.: Irony of ironies . . . just after the installers left we received an oil delivery (over $500 for 132 gallons). The driver confessed that not only does his father own the company, but also that he has been heating with pellets for 5 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.