Has the price of firewood dropped due to less demand this winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought...at these prices for split & delivered wood.....it makes little (economic) sense to do it all ones-self...with the resultant expenses of gas, chains, repairs etc. Not counting time.
Wondering if others think the same thing?
I happen to be a sicko puppy who enjoys working for nothing....!!!

If C/S/D was available in my area for a reasonable priice and I could get it in the length I want, I'd be all over it. If it came seasoned so I didn't have to be years ahead and having to move/restack, that would be a real bonus.

pretty much the same prices as last year.
many more ads and more are being careful about how far they'll drive to deliver without asking for some more money for gas

The "wholesale" price in our area (coming off the landing) dropped about $15/cord as the winter went on due to lower demand. Not sure if that drop is showing up at the homeowner level.

Nope, if anything its more than last year around here. Saw a guy last week on my way home from a Score and stopped to ask him how much for the Cord and he tells me "225 plus 35 dollar delivery since you are over the bridge" he did have some nice white oak but Ill pass, i can do a lot with $225 x 3 which is what I normally burn a year. I think they are trying to make up for a warm season and are selling high which goes kind of against the rule of supply and demand.

Well, for one thing around here there is absolutely no one that sells firewood by the cord and I doubt anyone knows how much a cord is. It is rick, pickup load, whatever. I don't keep up with the pricing, all I want to say is after spending the last so many weeks pecking away at about a 30ft. row by 5ft. high I don't know what I would have to sell firewood for to be happy. At 59 with backtrouble it is a hassle albeit a enjoyable one or I wouldn't be doing it, lol.

Had a guy stop by the house yesterday and asked if I would do what his guy usually does for him...$70/level loose stacked shortbox load. He was stoked to be able to buy dry wood at all and needless to say I was happy to get that much and not have to do anything more than help him load his pickup. My wife threatened to put a for sale sign on the stacks.

Brogan007 said:
Just a thought...at these prices for split & delivered wood.....it makes little (economic) sense to do it all ones-self...with the resultant expenses of gas, chains, repairs etc. Not counting time.
Wondering if others think the same thing?
I happen to be a sicko puppy who enjoys working for nothing....!!!

Depends how much time one has. If you have the spare time I'd say it's worth it to cut your own. If you can make $15.00 /
hr or more at work and have lots of work then you may be better off to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.