Has Vermont Castings' quality improved?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeStaten

Sep 21, 2016
Somerset, New Jersey
Read through lots of posts about questionable quality over the past few years but then heard from several dealers as well as independent installers that they have improved with the recent acquisition. Most of the concerning posts are prior to the acquisition. Has anyone had any first hand experience with the "improved" models?

I'm looking for a new wood burning insert and somewhat limited by my fireplace and the VC Montpelier is among the top on my list. the Enviro Cabello may also be a good choice for me but id need to make some modifications to the brick to get the Enviro to fit. This insert will not be used as a primary heat source but I still want something decent that will supplement my existing best and hopefully have hot coals after 7-8 hours. my wife prefers that the insert hasa large glass viewing area and as flush fit as possible. If build quality and functionality between the two were similar, I'd go with the VC Montpelier based on fit and looks but I hesitate based on all the positive reviews of the Enviro inserts.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

Nothing has changed as far as engineering due to the acquisition. There just has not been enough time yet and H&H generally does not run the company either. They have not changed harman or quad much at all. Now yes vc has gotten a little better in the past few years but not enough to convince me yet. They are still overly complicated with expensive delicate parts

I agree bholler, though it's interesting to me that they've finally discontinued the Acclaim and done that cool thing to the Encore to make it look like there's more glass area. Wonder what they'll replace the Acclaim WITH if anything? Point is, there appear to be changes, hopefully good ones. Once their reliability catches up with their architechture they may find themselves back in the game. It may help the OP to know that as a service person I have never had to lay a hand on a Montpelier insert. That's generally a good sign if not a ringing endorsement.

wife prefers that the insert has.....as flush fit as possible
Yeah, they just ADORE that flush look. It's all got to be sooo clean and uncluttered-looking, efficiency and functionality be damned. Sheesh. :rolleyes:
But we love 'em though, don't we? ;)

Actually, the Montpelier is one of the shining points of VC. Very attractive design, large glass viewing and with secondary burn tube system, its a nice looking flame heater too. Its one downfall has been the blowers are a bit noisy at more than about 1/3 output. They are below (like most but not all inserts) and if you are careful not to let ash fall down into their intake grill (due to very little ashlip), you prob won't have much worry. The Montpelier is a solid heater. No plans yet from HHT about VC, they bought just for the foundry- it'll be interesting to see VC's future and others' too, this 2020 epa requirement is prob going to change the landscape of wood stoves. The Enviro Cabello is a very solid heater, the flush design requires a deep fireplace (22.5 inches with the 1700 model), but the burn engine is the same as the other insert models. Can't go wrong with the Enviro, but the Montpelier is a very nice attractive insert as well.

No issues with our Montpelier -7 years now? I agree with Stovelark on fan noise, but that's nature of a flush insert. I would have gone for a stove with some intrusion onto the hearth, but my wife wanted flush.

Also consider the smallish firebox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No issues with our Montpelier -7 years now? I agree with Stovelark on fan noise, but that's nature of a flush insert. I would have gone for a stove with some intrusion onto the hearth, but my wife wanted flush.

Also consider the smallish firebox.

Adding that the VC quality issues do not generally apply to the 'tube' stoves.

Reactions: stovelark
My VC barbecue has been running flawlessly for the past 10 years. And sometimes I bring it to 600*F

Good choice I think- pretty stove, good heater too. Enjoy her.

Status
Not open for further replies.