Hatchet ID with pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
I have had this hatchet for several years now, and I am looking to find out more information on it. There are no markings anywhere on it and it has kept a nice edge over the years. Any info would be appreciated, good or bad. It is my sentimental kindling hatchet. It is light, swings true and accurate. It makes quick work of pine or white cedar chunks. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC09166.jpg
    DSC09166.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC09167.jpg
    DSC09167.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC09168.jpg
    DSC09168.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 246
Hmmm.... Axes & Hatchets arent really my specialty,chisels,drawknives,plane irons & saw blades are more though.Without any Maker's stamps,hardware store logos etc I cant tell you anything regarding style,period or region of origin unfortunately.

I must have 35+ dif sized axes & hatchets found over the years,a few get daily or semi-regular use,the more scarce or unusual ones stay in cabinet.

Thanks Thistle. I was hoping the shape would indicate if it was American made or from another country. I will do some internet research.

I got a couple books,lemme see what I can dig up. Like other things,some styles remained constant for decades in certain areas.

Very similar to the Rockaway Pattern axe,the shallow rounding of the lower part of eye next to handle is nearest what I found to yours so far.

It is also close to the Jersey pattern. I am thinking it may be a lathing hatchet or carperters hatchet. The old flooring hatchets had a notch for pulling nails. The poll of the axe has seen a bit of use to the extent of minor mushrooming, making me wonder if it was used for striking nails.

Interesting. Looks like a Hudson Bay-style head but with that rounded Rockaway-style shoulder below the eye. Think it's about time for a new hickory stick for it, eh?

Yes, the handle is a little loose. But it is so well balanced, and would not be the same with a new one.

fishingpol said:
Yes, the handle is a little loose. But it is so well balanced, and would not be the same with a new one.

Set it on bench vise with jaws open a couple inches.Very gently tap down with sturdy stick or wooden dowel to remove handle.Remove that metal wedge,reinstall handle in same position.Saw a slot where metal wedge was,then place a soft poplar wedge in that slot,hammering until firm.Saw off excess,cross it with 2 smaller metal wedges.You'll be retired before handle is loose again.

Sounds like tonight's mini-project. I have leftover poplar from a shelf project.

Status
Not open for further replies.