Hate to beat a dead horse, but...(BKK question)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
At my elevation, 8K+, and burning nothing but seasoned lodgepole pine, what performance can I expect from a BKK? I'm doing a comparo, trying to justify the cost of the new heater. My heart says YES, but my head need's some convincing. As mild as it's been lately, I'm cutting for next year. From all I've read, the BKK likes 18" max, in a N/S layout, but my current beast would eat a truck tire if given the chance. If I go with the BKK, I need to modify my processing. So, with what I'm burning, what can I expect with the BKK? Thanks all, JB

New BKK with a cat?
With cat, supposed to burn 30% less wood.
Yep 18" N/S
If mild climate, King may be too much heat even on low, run you out or have to open doors.

Hey BogyDave, nice area you're in. Me too, but not usually mild. BKK w/cat is what I want. What burn times are you getting with your wood?

Beetle-Kill said:
Hey BogyDave, nice area you're in. Me too, but not usually mild. BKK w/cat is what I want. What burn times are you getting with your wood?

PM North of 60. He runs a BK Princess Cat with lodgepole and can tell you what he gets for reference.

Beetle-Kill said:

Burn times vary depending on the thermostat setting. (which 2 is the "norm", colder & windy times, 2-1/2 on stat, 8- 10 hours.
I burn mostly birch, & on mid range #2 setting, full stove : 10 - 12 hours
Warmer days & nights 30 - 40 °F , I get 16 hours & stat is touch over 1-1/2 (seems to be a sweet spot & probably a little different for everyone)

lodge pole pine, I don't know, I'm sure it won't last as long as birch.
But it burns hotter, so you'll be on a lower stat setting. (stuff it full, it likes it)

PS: Most of the wood I'm burning this winter was NOT seasoned or stored properly, so next year I expect better results.
I put the best wood in at night, & still have a good fire in the morning, I pull it to the middle front, turn to 3 on stat, & get 2-3 more hours of good heat.
To get to zero tonight, so 10 hours max, it'll just be hot coal & time to stir & add some spruce & semi good birch but I don't stuff it full, usually 3 pieces.
Turn stat down after cat is activated to 2, or less if the house is to warm. That lasts to supper time, I mix & drag the coal & chunks to the front, , let it burn down good.
Load it up for the night, do it again.

Hope this helped & made sense.

Beetle-Kill said:
??why double post?? I did something wrong.

I'm looking at the BKK too. I find I keep coming back to the same things. Size of the firebox (for long burns) throws alot of heat (have older non cat bkk) Stat control for auto temp, and the Cat to use less wood.

In my old stove I used to only do EW. With the Blaze King I have tried the NS loading and like it. It's a good 10 inches shorter wood size with NS in the King compared to my old stove but feel its worth it. Once in a while I do NS EW mix depending on what I'm putting in it.
Not everyone likes the Blaze King. I don't think it will win any beauty contests but for what it is, it does the job.
I'd rather be warm and have more time for other things than to be cold and always throwing wood in it. It's getting close to time to start seeds for garden for pete's sake.

I started burning a lot more pine and spruce this year. At low burn, no problem with 24 hours. It is possible to get as short as an 8 hour burn out of a load of pine but you have to be burning at a high clip with the blowers running. The stove burns very well at both low and high burn rates. Dry wood is everything. My stove was a demo that arrived caked with creosote returned by someone who said it didn't put out any heat.

Solar, 8 hours on a high setting sounds pretty good to me. And yes, my wood is dry. I've actually been lighting the stove with nothing more than a Bic lighter, no paper, kindling, only the splits in the stove. They light off if stare at them for too long. Then watch out. Thanks for the answers. JB

Status
Not open for further replies.